Did I just buy a USED TP-Link AC1750 from Amazon?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-09 02:19:57
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just bought an TP-Link AC1750 as a gift for my sister. I have been trying to help her set it up (by phone, she doesn't live near me).At first, she got no internet connecgtion at all, though she could connect to the router . She has a Comcast cable modem connected by ethernet.

We somehow got her to a quick start via an ethernet cable between her laptop and the TP-Link. She got it to automatically detect the Comcast connection and also to change the SSID and password. This gave her a working internet connection.

Then she wanted to get both bands working and activate the guest access. This seems to require a login. When she tried, she did not get the same login screen that I do on my similar router. I get asked for an ID and password. All she was asked for is a password. The router pw did not work. There was no time she could enter admin = admin.

She tried both 192.168.0.1 and the online login. The online login redirected to something much longer and also at some state showed a hotmail account she didn't recognize. She has never had a hotmail account.

The only thing I can think of to explain the above is that she got a router that had been used and left with the previous user's settings recorded.

The simplest thing would be for her to call tech support but that is hard for her with her work schedule. I would appreciate any advice to help me debug her problem by phone with her.

Thank you.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Did I just buy a USED TP-Link AC1750 from Amazon?
2018-01-09 05:42:30
Put it back in the box, have Amazon send another to replace it.... Stop fooling with it.

You can initiate the return, email her the return UPS slip and she can drop it off at one of the gazillion UPS stores near her. Amazon will send another before you send it back.
Options
Re:Did I just buy a USED TP-Link AC1750 from Amazon?
2018-01-09 12:38:35

RandySea wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just bought an TP-Link AC1750 as a gift for my sister. I have been trying to help her set it up (by phone, she doesn't live near me).At first, she got no internet connecgtion at all, though she could connect to the router . She has a Comcast cable modem connected by ethernet.

We somehow got her to a quick start via an ethernet cable between her laptop and the TP-Link. She got it to automatically detect the Comcast connection and also to change the SSID and password. This gave her a working internet connection.

Then she wanted to get both bands working and activate the guest access. This seems to require a login. When she tried, she did not get the same login screen that I do on my similar router. I get asked for an ID and password. All she was asked for is a password. The router pw did not work. There was no time she could enter admin = admin.

She tried both 192.168.0.1 and the online login. The online login redirected to something much longer and also at some state showed a hotmail account she didn't recognize. She has never had a hotmail account.

The only thing I can think of to explain the above is that she got a router that had been used and left with the previous user's settings recorded.

The simplest thing would be for her to call tech support but that is hard for her with her work schedule. I would appreciate any advice to help me debug her problem by phone with her.

Thank you.

Just factory reset the router. There is a reset button at the back.

Press and hold this button for more than 5 seconds to reset the router to itsfactory default settings.
Options