How to set activity zones to reduce notifications and clips

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-07 21:18:17 - last edited 2022-12-15 17:36:33

The KC120 and KC200 Kasa Cams are great ways to provide additional security for your home, with the added benefit of smart automation features. Depending on the position of your Kasa Cam, you might want to have the camera only record a video if a specific level of motion is detected within a designated area in the camera’s field of view. If you feel that your Kasa Cam is recording too many clips, you might want to consider adjusting its Activity Zones and Sensitivity settings.

Our Kasa Cams feature the ability to create multiple, customizable, geometric Activity Zones – along with varying levels of sensitivity – so you can ensure the Kasa Cam only records what you want it to, when you want it to. Customizing these settings is quick and easy using the Kasa Smart app. Simply open the Devices menu, select your Kasa Cam, then choose its Device Settings menu option (top-right). In the Device Settings menu, you will find menu selections for both Activity Zones, and Privacy and Sensitivity. In the Activity Zones menu, you can create multiple geometric zones within the Kasa Cam’s field of view to be designated for recording trigger points, if motion is detected within them. In the Privacy and Sensitivity menu, you can control what the camera records (audio + video, video only, or none), as well as the ability to adjust how sensitive the camera is to motion within the activity zones. You can even have your Kasa Cam start recording if it hears sound.

With these customizable options, and more, the Kasa Cam is a great option for monitoring and securing your home, with convenient management from your smart phone via the Kasa Smart app. For more information about our Kasa Cams, please see our official website below.

Kasa Cam Indoor: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5515_KC120.html

Kasa Cam Outdoor: https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5515_KC200.html

Options
14 Reply
Re:How to set activity zones to reduce notifications and clips
2019-01-22 16:59:42

Great guide, thank you! 

Options
2019-05-04 23:12:05

Is it possible to name the activity zones to have more meaningful alerts?

Options
Re:Re:How to set activity zones to reduce notifications and clips
2019-05-06 18:51:46

@Markazali 

At this time no, but that is a great idea and I will forwarded to the team. 

Options
2019-09-21 07:30:22 - last edited 2019-09-25 10:04:52

Set Activity Zones, you can:

• Monitor up to 4 zones per camera.
  • Give each zone a custom shape, size, color and name.
  • Get people alerts and other motion alerts when activity happens in a zone thermostats. If you have a Nest Hello in the US, you can also get package alerts.
Options
2020-05-02 19:32:33
YES it would be a great feature IF IT WORKED. I have tried to set these up and all it does is allows me to create zones (select the area) thats it....im very dissapointed ...then when after trying every possible scenario I gave up and tried to set the sensitivity that didn't work then I tried setting the sound sensitivity that didn't work and it picked and recorded everything even on the lowest settings of sensitivity
Options
2021-05-05 07:16:57

Is it really convenient to use such zones or it is just a useless feature?

Options
2021-05-05 21:29:32

@Sebastian_Keuz 

Some users find them useful as you can set specific areas in the camera's field of view that will trigger a notification.  This way they can limit notifications to only area of interest.  

Options
2021-05-06 09:26:55

I have an ajax security system installed and I have never reset the sensor positions for all this time, since this is done automatically, as far as I understand. On the one hand, this is very convenient, because it greatly reduces the number of false alarms of motion sensors. On the other hand, I'm still a little scared after your post that it might be worth resetting the position. In any case, now everything works fine for me and your article was not particularly useful to me, although I was interested in reading the new information. Thanks.

Options
2021-07-28 22:55:02
The designated activity zones do not work for me. If anything moves anywhere in the whole viewpoint, it records and notifies.
Options
2021-07-29 00:45:01

@Lauranator 

Its possible you have overlapping activity zones setup.  I would delete any zone and recreate it to ensure you are covering the correct space.  Also are you listening for sound too?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9835

Replies: 14