Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Local only

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
155 Reply
Re:Re:Re:Local only
2022-03-20 12:23:01

@Carl, any progress on that? 

It's 2022 already and the issue has not been resolved yet: nor have you solved the problem (e.g. by simply issuing a reset of the circuit after trying everything else) nor have you provided an easy cure option from your app (e.g. adding a power reset button). This is pretty ridiculous that I have to physically approach a supposedly smart device in order to power circle it. 

And the problem in question - guys, seriously, devices loosing a connectivity to your server - this is a basic functionality that has to be as robust as it gets. If this doesn't work - you can't call your devices "smart". 

So, please, fix it ASAP. 

Options
2022-03-21 15:44:13

@vlad200_gmail 

Vlad,

The local only phenomeom affects a very small percentage of the smart products that are purchase and installed.  In most cases its a local network concern, as as we have addressed perviously in this thread, the main culprit of the cause of devices going into local only is a DNS problem.  I.E. the current DNS servers are not properly sending traffic to the cloud servers.  This can be corrected very easliy by changing the DNS servers to a public, but reliable one.  We suggest Google or OpenDNS servers.  If after switching you are still experiancing concerns please update us with as much details as you can.  

A soft reboot/reset button usually won't help in a situation like this.  That is one reason why we don't currently have a soft reset/reboot button.  In most of these cases a hard reboot would be required.  Though there are instances where a soft reset or reboot could be helpful so we will forward the request to the developers.  

Options
2022-03-21 17:40:08
Fortunately i was able to remove the device and re-add the device in the app and it resolved the problem.
Options
Re:Local only
2022-03-22 23:13:49

JUST had issues with this for the past few days. Able to get them back online by hitting the reset button (tiny right button) , letting it reconnect, and then turning it on and off again repeatedly until it took off LOCAL ONLY. YMMV.

Options
2022-03-23 15:35:05

I am also having this problem with just one of my plugs. It just started this past week.  Is there a fix for this yet?

Options
2022-03-23 16:05:03 - last edited 2022-03-23 16:05:40

@Maryj 

The last week, I am having Local control only on HS-103 Smrt Plugs. The location whee the plugs are is very far away. It controls a heating system and is a HUGE problem for me in WInter.

Please advise how to fix, or issue a firmware update,

Thank you

Mirage308

Options
2022-03-23 16:12:56 - last edited 2022-03-23 16:49:22

Mirage308 wrote

@Maryj 

The last week, I am having Local control only on HS-103 Smrt Plugs. The location whee the plugs are is very far away. It controls a heating system and is a HUGE problem for me in WInter.

Please advise how to fix, or issue a firmware update,

Thank you

Mirage308

@Mirage308 

Turn it off. Turn it on again after 1minute. If it stays the same then chuck it in the bin and buy a Tapo one. They're under £10 in the Uk and don't suffer the same issues in my experience. That said, I've got quite a few of the old HS ones that are fine and have been for years. It's just some break for an unknown reason and is a waste of time pretending you can fix them if you plan on using the same WiFi router. That's my long term experience with them. 

Options
2022-03-23 22:51:40

I was also having this issue with one of my plugs, the other plugs worked fine, it was only one that was misbehaving.

Checked the DNS logs and found it was trying to get out to these three domains, all queries were forwarded and nothing was being blocked. So I just unplugged the plug for a moment then plugged it back in after about 30 seconds the "Local Only" icon disappeared and everything started working again. 

You may want to whitelist these on your network just incase.

use1-api.tplinkra[dot]com

n-deventry.tplinkcloud[dot]com

n-devs.tplinkcloud[dot]com

pool.ntp[dot]org

Good luck.

JB

Options
2022-03-24 03:25:30

@Carl 

I think only a small percentage know how to report the problem. I've only had this problem a few times but now I'm deciding to try and fix this issue. In the past, i would just return the ones that are stuck on local only.

I currently have about 40 devices and 3 are stuck on local only. I use Google's DNS(8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and Google's mesh router/wifi system.

Options
2022-03-24 13:55:23

@Stevieruss "buy a Tapo one".  That'll certainly eliminate the problem - tapo devices are cloud only and don't have a local control API.  So if it's really a network problem you'll lose control of them completely.

Personally I'd try a few more things before I tossed the kasa devices, which are quite a bit better than tapo devices. Remember if they say "local only" they're still hooked to your wifi and controllable so they're still working.  First would be to power cycle my network devices, then power cycle the kasa devices.  If that fixed it for a while I know it's my router/network/ISP.  If they didn't come back within a minute or two I'd switch to an aftermarket app that only uses the local API and has a different mechanism for remote access. 

What I would *never* do is factory reset them - they're connected to my wifi and at some point my kasa account, so a reset does nothing but cause trouble.  At best clears up whatever is causing the network issue, at worse it disconnects them from my account.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
Related Articles