3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-12-07 14:57:38

Hi @DEcosse,

I wasn't clear.  I meant automatically on a reply.  I'm on a Jeep forum that adds the quote automatically EVERY time you reply which clutters things up quickly unless you just do a simple post or remember to delete or edit the quote.

Options
2021-12-08 17:52:39

So I attempted the KS230KIT install. I have multiple other TP-Link switches and I have 1 other 3way TP link.

for whatever reason I cannot get it to flash orange and green. It stays orange and after a bit will flash off and back to orange.

Yes I have seen other people post that on this community, yes I validated my wiring was/is correct, no the reset didn't fix it.

Now I am attempting to return it from the buyer on Amazon but I'm a bit worried they won't actually let me return it.

Options
2021-12-09 02:09:55

@Connu 

I did a chat with Amazon about returning past the return window and they said 1 time exception. They sent me a return email, It says refund of $35.35. I'm not sure if they dinged me on return shipping or late return.

Options
2021-12-11 23:42:52

Well I attempted to finally install these today. During the first boot up it did the light calibration and the lights actually did that stupid dim test. Then the first time they came on to 100% they dimmed all the way back down to off as expected with the old firmware. 

It eventually prompted to do the firmware update which I allowed it to do, now the lights don't come on at all but I can still control the led indicator on the switch. The satellite switch ended up giving off a foul odor but still seems to operate without actually turning on the lights though. I figure it's still operating in some capacity because if I flip the switch it changes the main... but still no lights ever come on. Looks like I'll be installing the old ones back and hopefully there is some type of RMA for a new hardware version because this sucks the sweat off a dead mans basket.

Options
Re:Re:Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-12-17 17:27:27 - last edited 2021-12-17 19:10:11

I have been following this thread since day 1 and also posted about the dummy switch solution that worked so so for me until now.
ALL my house has only Tp-Link switches so I wanted to share my experience.

All in all I bought 3 Dimmer switches. One in the first week and two more 1 months ago.
Since I was in the middle of a renovation I waited until this week before installing all 3.

All the switches had the same dimming issue after turning on with the default firmware but after updating the firmware they all operate as expected!!

The only problem I noticed is that 1 of the 3 satellites has no led light indicator at all (I read other ppl faces the same issue). 

@Carl what should I do about that?

Few other thing that I saw ppl here in the forum complain and I wanted to share my experience.

1. Led light - I did not see much difference between the led lights of the switches. I have 2 KS230 satellites with one simple non dimming switch and seems they have the same led (well, atleast the one who works out of the 2).

However after more investigation as I have 4 gang with TP-Link HS220 switches I noticed that one of them has different led light. I check the hardware of the 4 switches. 3 are on HW version 3.0 and one older on HW version 1.0. The one that on 1.0 has different led. So I guess the different led light issue that ppl here face might be related to that and it is not unique problem to the KS230.

2. There is no dimming indication on the satellites as ppl have already mentioned.

3. I don't use the double click option so I can't comment on that.

I attach 2 pictures.
In one you can see 3 gang with 3 switches. Two KS230 satellites (the middle one is with the broken LED light) and the left one is regular switch. I couldn't tell the difference in the led light.
In the second one you can see the 4 gang with 4 HS220 dimmers switches.4aad18be19064c8eb98742adb5b695d13e23bf78799a40e0983fc6eda87396cd 

Options
2021-12-17 20:08:21 - last edited 2021-12-18 18:12:29

Hi @KazaUser,

Looks like you hit all the issues.  It's interesting that your indicator LEDs are different intensities on different hardware versions of the same switch model.  Hopefully, TP-LInk will do the same to resolve the same issue with the v1 hardware on the KS230 remotes.  It's not a huge deal, but it's sloppy and annoying and it would have been nice if the engineers could have just told us this.  The lack of an on/off indicator is the biggest issue for me although getting the double-tap feature back would be nice.  You can test the feature easily enough in the Kasa app settings.  I set mine to go full bright with a double-tap which is a nice customization versus holding down the dimmer button until full brightness is reached.  

There is one other very minor issue, but again, sloppy and annoying.  The dimmer level LEDs don't present in the same way as all the other Kasa switches.  Only the highest level LED is lighted rather than the LED and all of the ones to the left of it.  It's only in pitch dark where having only one lighted makes it difficult to know what the actual dimmer level is.  Do you see the same?

Options
2021-12-18 18:04:03

@Connu

I checked the dimmer level indicator and you are right. When the lights in the ks230 are on its the same behavior as hs220 when the lights are *off*

Options
2021-12-18 18:17:43

Hi @KazaUser,

Thanks.  It's weird... like they weren't beta tested at all.  At least they're functional now as a 3-way kit even with all the little issues.  Hopefully @Carl will come through and ensure that early adopters will be able to get v2 hardware replacements for these v1 kits.

Options
2021-12-18 18:28:07

@Connu , yep I agree.

I am considering buying another unit just because of the secondary switch led issue and return it to Amazon... I wonder if I can just replace the secondary switch (I guess it should be OK but I am not sure...)?

Options
2021-12-19 17:29:48

Fawk ... just bought a used on from Amazon (only thing in stock) before finding this forum.  Looks like it was a defective customer return with the solid amber light.  It's going back ... what a waste of time.

Options
Related Articles