3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?-Solution
2022-07-15 18:15:02 - last edited 2022-08-18 20:49:13

Hello Everyone.

I promised an update when I had one so here it is.  KS230 Kit V2 is about to enter beta testing.  We are looking at a Q3 launch right now but that could change so don't hold me to that.  For the Beta test, I have combed through all 67 pages of this thread (whew! that's a lot) and created a list I presented to the QA team, so some of you, possibly a lot of you, may be contacted here shortly with an offer to join this Beta.  I will say that this test is only open to US residents so some of our Canadian and other region users who are on this thread unfortuently will not be able to take part as a beta tester.  I believe there are 25 open spots so keep an eye out on the email account associated with your Community log in as that is where the invitation will be sent to.  If you are selected.  Test the @#$# out of this thing.  Try every feature, test every function, etc.  Let's make sure this 2nd version is a winner. 

Thank you all for your patience and those who choose to participate in the Beta thank you for your help.  You are all valued customers and we do want to keep it that way!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2022-07-15 18:23:58

@Carl  thank you for the update!

Options
2022-07-16 10:05:34

@Carl thanks for the update. Will definitely watch for an invite.

Bill Suarez

Options
2022-07-18 15:40:35

@Carl Thanks for the update!  I'd be happy to participate in the beta if there's an extra slot (I've got ~10 years of software engineering experience, and half of that was QA/test automation, so I know my way around abusing products)

You mentioned at one point we'd be able to RMA v1 units we had once v2 is out, what will that process look like?  I've got 4 v1 sets to replace, and 3 more to buy (whoever designed the electrical setup in this house went nuts with 3-way switches).

Thanks!

Options
2022-07-18 15:58:10

I have been invited and opted in. I look forward to helping out.

Options
2022-07-19 02:12:23

I've had a weird issue, and I was wondering if anyone a little bit more knowledgeable could help elucidate what is going on, as I don't think the behavior is normal. I tried to set up the Main KS230 as if it was a normal 3-way switch into a 5-way circuit and then did not install the satellite in at the other 3-way switch load end. Interestingly, the switch worked perfectly initially. The switch was able to recognize if it was on or off, was able to be controlled by Alexa and also could be dimmed correctly. However, a few hours following installation, the switch stopped working completely. Did I potentially burn the switch out? Also, anyone have any ideas how the sole main switch was even able to work properly?

Options
2022-07-19 16:21:48

Hi @Sstocd

You installed the primary switch from the kit in a five-switch 4-way circuuit.  There's no such thing as a 5-way circuit. Unfortunately, this won't work with the "kit" or the primary switch in place of one of the existing 3-way switches.  Neither can replace any of the three 4-way switches either.  This has been one of my complaints is that the kit switches are NOT 3-way switches.  If they were, your setup would work fine, but both kit switches must be used to replace a 3-way circuit without any 4-way switches in the middle. The problemn is that the current will altenate between the two power leads so that any of the other four switches will cut the power to your primary switch.  Your switch will only work "perfectly" as a single-pole switch when the other four switches are aligned to provide power to whichever traveler wire you connected to it.  Other more expensive switches like Lutron leave a small bit of current flowing in both traveler wires to keep the switch energized.  This is great since only a single smart switch is necessary in a 4-way circuit like yours ("dumb" satellites are only necessary to provide dimming functionality at other switch locations), but some led bulbs will actually remain very dimmly lit even when the lights are supposed to off.

Hope that helps.

Options
2022-07-19 16:26:51

@Sstocd 

By the way, I was just accepted to the beta program for the upcoming v2 kit.  Hopefully the new kit will work properly and take care of all the hardware issues the first kits had, but I don't expect they will suppport 4-way circuits since TP-Link is still calling it a "kit".  I expect there will still be a smart primary switch and dumb satellite that can only work in a 3-way circuit.  Oh well, but at least it looks like they're serious about fixing the existing hardware,

Options
2022-07-19 17:29:05

@Connu 

Hey, I appreciate the response and apologize if I am using any of the terminology incorrectly. By five way switch I meant I had a set up with four physical light swtiches: two three ways and two four way switches. I understand that the KS230 is not supposed to work becuase it does not function as a normal three way switch would. However, the interesting part I wanted to point out is that despite that, it actually was working correctly for a brief period of time and I have no explanation for how that could be the case.

Options
2022-07-21 21:23:13

I've just recently installed the KS230 and got it working perfectly for about a week, but woke up this morning to a solid red indicator on the base unit.

• I tried to restart, no dice and no connection to wifi.
  • I tried to do a soft reset (5 second hold) and I couldn't connect to the unit's wifi when trying to get it back on my network.
  • The same happened when I did a factory reset (10 second hold).

The wifi indicator will blink orange and green, and when I go through the setup process, I will usually (though not always) be able to see that a network is being broadcast from the unit, but when I try to connect I only get a "connection failed" message and am prompted to connect manually to the device's network, which ALWAYS fails (from more than one device).

Both the base and the satellite are working as normal switches - dimming correctly and turning on and off if I interact with them manually, but I just can't get them on the network.

Is there any way to remedy this situation?

Options
Related Articles