3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-05-05 22:55:11
Hello Carl, Just wanted to ask if you have any updates about the release date. I think your last estimate was May 2021.
Options
2021-05-06 00:31:45

Hooman wrote

Hello Carl, Just wanted to ask if you have any updates about the release date. I think your last estimate was May 2021.

@Hooman Per @Carl post on 2-12 in this thread he actually said Mid-July to Early-August .... 

But yes, any new news would be good to hear. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-12 23:18:59

@echo954 

Based on some quick research, it seems the KS230 KIT is actually in process, as it just got "registered" on May 7th with the FCC. See link for all related documents, testing info, manual etc... (Link not allowed in post, so just google "2AXJ4KS230" which is the fcc id, and click the first link from fccid (dot) io)

File:
KS230_KIT_Manual.pdfDownload
Options
2021-05-13 00:29:23

@kishmich - great find! 

The manual is a bit disappointing as it still does not give any clues as to whether it will be a single unit install or a require pair (as the image shows) 
Although I'm beginning to think since it is referred to as a 'kit' that it will be two switches (makes makes sense if you want to be able to have manual control at both locations) - however will undoubtedly make it doubly expensive!  The 'other' (TL) brand only requires one and personally I would have been happy with that situation, I mean it's a SMART switch - why do you need MANUAL control at both locations? We'll find out soon I guess 

I think its frustrating to many users that there is no actual physical installation instruction in ANY of the manuals and just told to follow the on-screen guide in the app. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-13 00:56:20 - last edited 2021-05-13 01:16:14

@Bethel.8009 

The FCC did show label information, and that shows a clear view of the back of the unit, so you can get a better idea of the connections. This is not a repackaged HS210 or anything like that. It has 5 wire connections. Line, Ground, Neutral, and Traveler 1 and Traveler 2 labeled seperately. Interested how this will all need to be wired up, and what options, if any, there might be to combine this with a standard 2 or 3 way switch, or with a HS210 non dimmer switch. It certainly looks like it will have the connections to possibly set up in a variety of ways! It is using the travelers for something, so it appears to not rely on the WIFI to synch the 2 switches. Exciting stuff!

I did just notice that the label says "Main" and there is a difference between the 2 switches on the userguide cover with the wifi reset buttons at the base of the switch only showing on one of the units, presumably the "main" switch. So I'm thinking the 2nd switch may act as a slave and not a second of the same switch a la the HS210 kit that could be split into 2 seperate locations.

Options
2021-05-13 01:22:03 - last edited 2021-05-13 01:24:25

BaumSquad wrote

It has 5 wire connections. Line, Ground, Neutral, and Traveler 1 and Traveler 2 labeled seperately. 

@BaumSquad Well of course - that was a given - it's a 3-way switch! My question remains as to whether it goes at line or load end but more importantly if it REQUIRES two with one at EACH end. 

I don't see any possible reason why you would want to use it with an HS210 - that would not add any more capability than a 'dumb' switch and the circuit would already be being Smart Controlled by the other (the exact same reason as why you only need one HS210 in a non-dimming 3-way application)

Nor would it be a single pole switch as that would cut the circuit completely and would need to be flipped back manually in order to restore. 

So I think it comes down to will there be one or two required. 

Even if it says to install two, I will definitely be doing some experimenting to see if/how it will operate with one and if/what the limitations might be if it does

Oops - just noticed your post-script edit - that would be most unfortunate. Unless they are only marginally more expensive, I think that would make it prohibitive for me. 

Options
2021-05-21 18:22:06

So when is this product actually coming out?  It has read "Coming Soon" for quite sometime?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/smart-switch/ks230-kit/

Options
2021-05-24 12:52:51

@Sam____ 

agreed. Would like to know this also - patiently awaiting one for my kitchen reno. 

anyone have any updates ?

Options
2021-05-25 23:41:59

@BaumSquad 

If you pay closer attention to the picture on the product page, you will find only the main switch have WiFi symbol, Reset/Pair buttons, and Light Level indicator lights. The slave has none of them. So I bet it's just a dumb switch that can be replaced by any 3-way switch.

It's a pity that slave switch can't even show light level. But it does make sense because the only function that could use double display is light level, and it wouldn't make sense to build a WiFi or some other intercom module just for this fuction...

Options
2021-05-26 00:14:33

@Bethel.8009 

"Even if it says to install two, I will definitely be doing some experimenting to see if/how it will operate with one and if/what the limitations might be if it does"

I have one of the TPLink smart 3-way (non-dimming) switches in my garage.  I have a standard 3-way switch at the other end of the circuit, so this definitely works.

However, I think I have noticed some limitations.  The biggest one is that I have a timer on the smart switch to turn off automatically after being on for 30 minutes.   If i turn on the light at the 'dumb' switch, the smart switch doesn't recognize it's on and turn it off.  I haven't specifically tried this to confirm, but I think this has been my observation so far.  I may have to run a specific test to confirm.

I also don't know if the app would correctly reflect the actual state of the light if you control it from the dumb switch.  With the way my garage is wired, I had to put the dumb switch by the door from garage to the house and the smart switch by the door from garage to outside.  If the garage light is off and I turn it on at the dumb switch, does the smart switch recognize it's on and reflect the correct status accordingly in the app?  Another test I can run.

Options
Related Articles