3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-05-26 07:03:54 - last edited 2021-05-26 07:07:31

MizzouMan2k wrote

1) I have one of the TPLink smart 3-way (non-dimming) switches in my garage.  I have a standard 3-way switch at the other end of the circuit, so this definitely works.

2) However, I think I have noticed some limitations.  The biggest one is that I have a timer on the smart switch to turn off automatically after being on for 30 minutes.   If i turn on the light at the 'dumb' switch, the smart switch doesn't recognize it's on and turn it off.  I haven't specifically tried this to confirm, but I think this has been my observation so far.  I may have to run a specific test to confirm.

3) I also don't know if the app would correctly reflect the actual state of the light if you control it from the dumb switch.  With the way my garage is wired, I had to put the dumb switch by the door from garage to the house and the smart switch by the door from garage to outside.  If the garage light is off and I turn it on at the dumb switch, does the smart switch recognize it's on and reflect the correct status accordingly in the app?  Another test I can run.

@MizzouMan2k 

1) Yes, this is the standard way to connect the HS210 

2) There are no 'on or off' positions with 3-way switches - each will invert the current state of the actual lamp whether that be on or off

These switches - whether smart or dumb - are changeover - so what might have turned on the light in one position does not necessarily mean that is always the on position as if you lets say leave the dumb switch alone and toggle the smart switch, that dumb position (where it was previously on) in now the 'off' position; 

Your timer turns on the lamp (when it was previously 'off') - regardless of that timer function on the Smart Switch, if you toggle the dumb switch, the Light WILL turn off. 

Run your test and it should prove accordingly. 

3) The LED on the Smart Switch will always reflect whether the actual lamp is on or off - when it does not detect any current flow (i.e. when the lamp is off) then the LED (and the App) will always show the correct state of whether the lamp is on or off. 

So the latter part of your question - yes, the app will show the light is on. (and you will also see it on the physical LED on the Smart Switch) 

It's important to understand that the LED - and App status - have nothing to do with which traveler is selected by the internal relay (i.e. relay energized or not) and only whether current is actually flowing to the load. 

So let's say the internal relay is turned on to couple the Common (Line) to the T2 Traveler - then (if light was previously off, that MUST mean that the T1 was the active line and that the dumb switch must already be linking the Load to the T2); so when the T2 becomes active from the Smart Switch, the Light comes on.

When the light comes on, the app reflects this status and now the LED on the Smart Switch turns off (LED is inverse of the actual light state) 

Now - T2 is still active right? Toggle the dumb switch - again, T2 status out of the Smart switch does NOT change i.e. still active; However by toggling the dumb switch, it now breaks the connection of the load with T2 and flips the switch to connect the Load to T1 - so the light goes OFF. Again, the relay state of the Smart Switch did NOT change, however because no current is flowing to the load, it reflects in the app that the Light is Off AND turns ON the LED on the Smart Switch. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-05-28 18:49:42

Bump to anyone who has an update on the release date?

Options
2021-07-18 01:07:13

July 2021 entered the chat.  We're still waiting, @Carl indecision

Options
2021-07-18 21:17:23

@Quesarito 

What's worse is that this thread is over 2 years & 3 months old! 🙄

Options
2021-07-22 18:37:00

@Quesarito 

This is one of the reasons we don't normally give release dates.  They can and often do change.  Right now I am showing the KS230 is scheduled to launch late August. 

Options
2021-08-21 21:29:36

@Carl OK, but it was announced 7 months ago at CES - that's quite a while between announcing a product and still not delivering.

If the product is not yet ready for release, it's not yet ready. And I certainly would not want it released before it's ready.

But, having said that, nobody appreciates vaporware announcements.

Options
2021-08-22 05:35:46 - last edited 2021-08-22 05:43:22

Hi @Carl !  I'm new here (just created an account).  I was excited to read of a late August release date.  Any updates?

Is the KS230 KIT sold in pairs? Triples?  

I have several Kasa switches and even a couple outdoor plugs.  If these dimmers can stay in the same "app" family that would be ideal!

-KS230 (Dan)

Options
2021-08-23 17:22:54

@KS230 

Hello, so it is looking like the 2nd full week of September is when the product will be available.  I beleive it will be at Best Buy but not sure on that yet.   the KS230 is slightly different than the HS210 I am finding out.  It is sold in 2 unit packs.  Both units must be used.  Further 1 unit is designed to be placed on the source and one on the load.  They are not interchangable like with the HS210 and cannot be used in tandem with a standard not smart switch.  I'm working with our team right now for a installation guide and video but that is still in the talks and may not be available on Launch.  

Options
2021-08-23 17:28:15

@jbr439 

I agree but I will say that products shown at CES at lot of the time are still in development and not near ready for the market.  Also there are a lot products shown at CES that are concept desinged around still emerging technology. These concepts can be canceled or further deleoped as that tech its based on evoles. Also sometimes we run into manufacture delays or issues with in the product that we have to address in order to ensure a quality product is released.  For instance our doorbell has been on and off in development since we showed it 3 year ago at CES.  It is not just getting ready to launch in the next month or so.   We apperciate the interest in the product and are also eargerly waiting for it to launch.  

Options
2021-08-23 17:34:08

@Carl 

That is exciting news!  Please keep us posted on retailers that would be carrying them.

Thanks for the update Carl! 

Options
Related Articles