3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:Re:Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-12-20 18:35:02

@Connu 

I'll do my best.  As long as it doesn't take too long for the new hardware to come out and warranties are still valid I should have no problem doing this.  I already see the V2 on roadmaps so it shouldn't be too long, but we also don't want to rush it to fast either or we potentially face similar issues in QA.  As soon as iI have something definitive I will happliy share it here. 

Options
2021-12-20 18:58:31

KazaUser wrote

@Connu , yep I agree.

I am considering buying another unit just because of the secondary switch led issue and return it to Amazon... I wonder if I can just replace the secondary switch (I guess it should be OK but I am not sure...)?

It isn't clear if the main switch hardware or the remote hardware (or both) is the issue.  The remote switch nightlight being too bright is clearly a hardware issue with the remote, but all the brains are in the main switch.  I'm thinking both.

Options
2021-12-27 01:13:00

So another update after 2 weeks.

2 out of 3 switches works fine!

The main switch of the faulty led indicator lost connection and no matter what I tried to do, I am unable to set it up again. It can not connect to the app again and keep blinking orange and green. I saw this happen also to some ppl here in the forum.

Luckily I can still return it to Amazon, but would really like to get a replacement as I don't wanna lose the setup. Unfortunately it is still not available in Amazon for a long time now.

@Carl do you know it this version will be back in stock or you are waiting to a new version?

Options
2021-12-27 01:32:14 - last edited 2021-12-27 01:40:53

@KazaUser 

May I know could KS230 KIT control the light  manually  & on APP properly before the firmware update? How long the KS230 has been working fine before?

We would like help look into the concern further support email, can help confirm details here:
1. Could you manually control light using main & satellite KS230?
2.  Could you use Tapo APP control light using main & satellite KS230?
3. How about the  Led status on main and Satellite KS230 right now? the Dim Led/ White circle/ WiFi led.

If KS230 could still control light manually,try a factory reset on switch by pressing the reset button for 10secs, the Led will flash amber and green, later can you set it up on APP, can I know which step it reports any error? 

Thank you.

Options
2021-12-27 01:57:28

@Solla-topee thanks for the quick reply. 

1. Yes, I am able to control the light manually from both the switches. 

2. No, I cant connect the TP app to the switch and it appears as "device unreachable"

3. As I said before, in this unit (I have 3) the led indicator light never worked on the satellite switch. It is still working on the main.

Regarding the wifi indicator, in the beginning of the issue I think the main switch showed green light (dont remember if it was solid or blinked) and now after all the resets it blinks with orange and green.

I tried both resets, soft and hard reset. In the TP app when I try to setup a new device, it just can't find it...

Options
2021-12-27 06:40:09 - last edited 2021-12-27 06:43:34

@KazaUser 

Thank you for the case details!  If main KS230 flashes amber and green, but app does not find device , please refer to Case2 in this FAQ
- make sure phone is connected to TPLINK Smart XXX SSID, and should get an IP address, like 192.168.0.X (tap the WiFi SSID to check IP)
- turn VPN off if app could not find device 

I reviewed your previous post about the satellite switch no led at all, that is pretty unusual, we would like to look into that further through email, please check your inbox later. Thank you.

Options
2021-12-27 16:20:19

@Carl Hi everyone. It's been a while since my last post here.

The only issue I had before was that the sattelite switch didn't have the ring light on when the lights were off. But after I updated to the version 1.0.12, nothing is working anymore. I have the red wifi icon blinking on the main switch. I can't turn on or off the lights. I holded the reset button and nothing happens. What should I do?

Options
2021-12-28 01:46:24 - last edited 2021-12-28 01:46:46

Hi @Aksdenn Thank you for proving case details,  We would like help look into the concern further through support email, please check your inbox. 

If anyone experiences similar issue after KS230 recent  firmware update, kindly help confirm details here:
1. Could you manually control light using main & satellite KS230?
2. Could you use Tapo APP to control light using main & satellite KS230?
3. Does the Led status look usual on main and Satellite KS230? the Brightness Led/ Ring/ WiFi led.

If KS230 could still control light manually,try a factory reset on switch by pressing the 'reset' button (button on left button) on main KS230 for 10secs, check if switch broadcast 'TP-Link_Smart_Switch_XX'  SSID or if Led will flash amber and green. If so, try to set up switch in Kasa app again.

If installation failed in Kasa step, try to troubleshoot as this FAQ: What should I do if I fail to configure the Kasa device?
Thank you. 

Options
2021-12-28 20:26:01

@KazaUser 

Version 1 will continue to be produced until V2 is available.  I can say that the new version is already on the roadmap.  This is a good sign that it is comming sooner rather than later.  

Options
2022-01-08 17:06:58

@Carl 

Hey Carl.  I've been reading this thread from the beginning and have 4 of the KS230 kits currently installed (in addition to about 20 other various Kasa switches around the house).  I installed these before learning that the existing issues that bothered me the most were likely not going to be fixable through software on the v1 hardware. 

- Ring light on satellite switch does not turn off when lights are on

- Double-tap feature removed

- Inconsistent dimming level indicator on primary switch

I still need 3 more KS230 kits to finish the house up, but I'd also like to eventually have the switches fully functional. Could you confirm that when v2 hardware exists with solutions to these issues, I'll be able to exchange all my v1 kits?  I'd like to be able to confirm this before I go dropping $150 on 3 more kits. 

Thanks! 

-Another programmer on this thread

Options
Related Articles