HS210 constantly disconnects from the wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-11 20:00:46
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 2 hallways in my house and 2 HS210 systems connected in the house.

They both work at times but throughout the day I do experience issues.

They either show a blinking green wifi light or a solid red wifi light.

Give it some time the switch itself just reconnects to the wifi network and works just fine.

I have a lot of smart products connected throughout the house and I do not experience this issue with anything else.

Any idea what the problem here is?

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS210 constantly disconnects from the wifi
2019-04-11 23:30:42

@alek 

If the faceplates are metal, that will interfere with the signal. Might be worth looking at a Wi-Fi analyzer to see if the wireless signal is reaching both switches on your smart phone.

If the two thing mentioned check out, you can try factory resetting the swtiches by holding the small button on the left, below the main switch for 10 seconds. Install the switches again and see if that resolves it.

Options
Re:Re:HS210 constantly disconnects from the wifi
2019-04-12 21:46:22
Faceplate is plastic and the signal strength is 100% I will try resetting both to see if it solves the problem.
Options
2019-04-15 01:28:20
I did a reset, still the same issue
Options
2021-12-06 17:23:37

POTENTIAL SOLUTION

Hello, I recently had the same issue. I had 4 smart dimmers (HS220) and a power switch (HS300) that started to give me a lot of problems. They were never "available" on the app and constantly looking for the connection, blinking green. Basically they could not be used. I looked quite a bit online and I found several posts here on the forum with similar problems (I posted this in a couple of different threads to reach more people). The common solution I found was to update the firmware to the beta version provided, using the tool linked in those pages. Unfortunately for me the upgrade never worked and I was stucked with the situation. After playing around a lot with both the devices and the network, the conclusion was the problem was the network and not the devices. Playing more (wifi analyzers, static IPs, optimal channels, etc.)  eventually led me to the solution (for me at least). I realized that my phone was causing the problem (Samsung S20). When I moved my phone to the 5Ghz only (leaving all the Kasa devices on the 2.4Ghz), all the devices connected quickly and worked perfectly.

Then my wife got home, and as soon as she got in, the switches started to flash the green light. I moved her phone to the 5Ghz network too, but the problem remained. Then I noticed on her phone (iphone) that under the connection settings, there is an option for "private (MAC) address" selected. Deactivating that option, restored all the devices to a perfect working conditions.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted to share with other a simple potential solution that doesn't involve flashing new (beta) firmware. I don't know why this trick makes them working properly, but it does. I woulf like to ask peoplento try and let us know.

Thanks

SOLUTION:

- keep all the phones on the 5Ghz network (with different SSID)

- on iPhones, deselect the "provate address" option under the wifi settings

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1849

Replies: 4

Related Articles