Video recorded yesterday no longer available

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-04 14:26:34
Model: KC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I want to download a video clip that was recorded less than 24 hours ago,  but it already says that this video is no longer available on Kasa.   

Is there any way to retrieve this video?      I thought I'd get at least a day of retention.    How are videos removed? I have other videos still available while the videos right before and right after them are no longer available.      If I subscribe to Kasa Care , would I re-gain access to those videos or would I only gain longer retention time going forward?

Is there any way to retrieve this one video that is no longer available?

Thanks,

Jeff

Options
8 Reply
Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-06-04 18:52:07

@JeffP 

Hi Jeff,  Please take a look at the chart in this FAQ https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1962/.  It details how long video retention is for each camera on each plan.  Your Post indicates that you have a KC200 which on the free plan should be 2 days or 1GB of storage.  If you were with in this time period the video should be available to you, but one of three things could have happened.

1.  You exceeded the storage size limit:  This is not likely if the video before is still viewable. When storage size is exceeded the oldest videos should be removed 1st.  

2.  The Cloud server went down.  We use AWS servers for cloud storage so although with any server down time is always possible we do not see much of it.

3.  This one is the most likely issue and that is the camera lost connection to your router thus braking the link to the servers and not allowing videos to upload or to fully upload.  If a video is not available there is unfortunetly no way to retireve it, because it does not exist on the cloud server.  

Options
Re:Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-06-05 00:44:15

Hey there,

So my question to TP-Link then as but anyway - how do you manage that lost of data? Do you mirrow it somewhere else? From a customer point of view it doesn't matter who lose my data and if Amazon responsible for that or not, as we pay TP-Link for uploading it and keeping safe. 

And I don't think that it's acceptable to refer to your internal vendors. If you have any issues with Amazon, please change your hosting vendor or tell your clients a truth that you can't rely on AWS in terms of stability and customers data can be lost. So that we could decide if we can use your service or not.

Options
2019-06-05 10:50:23 - last edited 2019-06-05 10:51:32

I think my model is actually the KC100,  which was not an option for me to choose so I had to choose KC200.    The retention for my camera on the free plan is only 12 hours,  so I understand why my video was no longer available.    The thing is that other videos from right around the same time were still available.   The availability seemed to be very spotty.. some videos from that itme period were available and some not available.    I have to assume though that all of that data still exists somewhere.    I'm sure it is mirrored somewhere and I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve a particular video once it was no longer available.     I didn't realize until this happened that my retention period was not even a day.   I thought it was two days .. until this happened.    Then I realized the spot is only given 12 hours.     I had an issue where needed two videos that had been captured the previous day.   They were both recorded consecutively... I was able to download one of the two but the other was unavailable.   Again, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for which videos were available and which were not.     So I was just looking to find out if there was any way possible to get back a video that was lost.

Thanks,

Jeff

Options
Re:Re:Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-06-05 17:19:15

@Google_Captain 

Just so you know we mentioned AWS as our server host because its not anything we are trying to hide.  We in the past have mentioned this in promotinal and marketing materials.  As I am sure you are well aware with any device using the cloud to store data the most cruical time for that data is when the upload is taking place.   While server issues can happen they are not the only cause of upload failures.  We do the best we can to advoid issues but at times they may be unavoidable.  For instance, there could be a server failure or even an ISP outage, at times even a hardware failure occurs.  When failures due occur again as with any cloud based device the chances that data during this event will be unrecoverable is pretty high, not just for TP-Link but potentially any vendor that uses cloud based services.

Options
Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-06-30 22:57:52

I just went to look at video from yesterday. I have kc120. It was all gone. I am supposed to have 2 days with the free program. What happened to them? And if I do pay for a program, is this going to happen there too? I had one I wanted to look at again and it's gone??? Is there some setting I should be using?

Thanks.

Options
2019-07-01 10:22:18

Now the recordings from right before my last post are gone? Is thete a setting I should change? Help! I need to get this working before I leave the country in a few days.....

Options
Re:Re:Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-07-02 01:59:14

Still not saving videos?? When I look it always says no activity for the last 3 hours, but there's nothing that I know should be there. Anyone?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Video recorded yesterday no longer available
2019-07-11 00:11:40

@LindaL 

Please make sure you are fully up to date on the camera's firmware.  Once you are under your privacy and sensitvtiy settings what are your sensitivity and record motion that last at least settings set to:?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6163

Replies: 8