Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-10 21:30:58

When using the Kasa Android app to use the two way communication to the camera, I'm finding the audio is way too quiet. I literally need to put my phone's mic right up to my mouth and I have to speak too loudly for the audio on the camera to be anywhere near audible. The app also doesn't completely work with bluetooth headsets. While I can hear the audio from the camera to my phone thru a BT headset, the app doesn't use the headset's mic, instead still using the phone's mic. This makes the two way comm feature pretty useless and needs to be fixed.

Options
25 Reply
Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-10 23:48:43

@JakCrow 

Thank you for your comments, however the Kasa Cam 2-way feature was not designed with headsets in mind.  We will forward this up to the design team to evaluate future updates.  For the volume issue.  Volume is based on your handset's volume setting.  If you have the volume up and it is still have an issue the two steps to try would be:

1.  check for frimware or app updates and install them

2.  Reset the camera and reinstall.  

You may also want to switch bands if your router supports both 2.4 and 5G wireless networks. 

Best Regards 

Options
Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-11 00:33:12 - last edited 2019-07-11 00:34:38

Carl, I included the firmware version with the post so it shows the camera has the latest version so there's no reason to suggest updating it. The issue is specifically with the Android app, and the phone"s volume has nothing to do with the mic sending audio to the camera.

The iPhone app works properly and my voice can be heard clearly without having to nearly swallow the phone"s mic like i have to do with the app on my Android phone. The issue isn't the wifi band or the firmware version or needing to remove and re-add the camera. The Android app is clearly the issue and needs to be fixed.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-11 21:25:21

@JakCrow 

I didn't have the FW version on hand to know if it was up to date or not, so thank you for clarifiying that. Based on the new infromation you provided in your reply, it does seem the issue actually is with your Android handset itself.  We went ahead and tested the android app within in our test enviroment here and were not able to find any issues. That coupled with your iPhone working properly would indicate a hardware issue not software.  I'd recommend having your phone tested or if using a custom Rom seeing if something in the rom has affected your reciever's sensitivity. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-12 19:41:15 - last edited 2019-07-13 01:55:58

Except it's not my phone either. This happens with both a Samsung S10+ and a Note 9. There was a single time where the audio worked at normal levels but running the app at a later time resulted in the audio being too quiet once again. If the issue was a "hardware issue" then my phone wouldn't work with normal phone calls and other uses of its mic and that's just not the case. PLUS we've also tried a Tuya based camera that uses the Smart Life app which functions much the same way as the Kasa app and that works just fine with the phones' mics AND works with bluetooth headphones. The idea that two different phones would be suffering from a supposed hardware issue causing problems sending audio to the Kasa camera while another app for a different camera is  absurd on its face.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-20 18:43:30 - last edited 2019-07-20 18:49:57

Same issue with mine. Audio is very, very quiet. This happened on my S7 and my wife's S7.We then switched to S9 and S9+ later in the year and same issue! Lastly, we just ordered a second cam for upstairs and that one is just as quiet. There is no way that Kasa isn't aware of this issue. This needs to be addressed. Firmware has latest update. Checked everything I can think of....

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-22 02:02:16

So Carl. Stop trying to blame the end user and fix your software.

Options
Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-23 23:50:53 - last edited 2019-07-23 23:51:34

@Carl 

Same issue here. Using a Samsung Galaxy S10 and speaking at normal volume with the mobile device a few inches from my mouth results in basically no audio output from the camera. I literally need to cup one hand around my phones mic and and speak at an almost shouting level for even a quiet audio output from the camera.

My wife's iPhone 7 works just fine.

ISSUE IS CLEARLY WITH THE ANDROID APP. FIX THIS OR I WILL BE RETURNING MY CAMERAS!!

Options
Re:Re:Audio from Kasa Android app to KC120 camera too quiet
2019-07-24 17:28:59

@Jason_B 

No the issue is not clearly the Android app.  In fact it looks to be more of an issue with Samsung devices and not the app.  We tested locally with an android phone and had no issues and could not replicate the concern.  We do not have a Samsung device locally to test but since both you and Jak have the same issue and both are using Samsung the issue looks more like an issue with their devices and not the app.  

We will however send this to the design team and see if they can replicate the complaints here with a Samsung device.  Once we have word on this we will provide an update to this thread.  

Thank you 

Options
2019-07-24 19:57:48

@Carl 

Thanks for your reply. I can agree with your observation that the issue seems to be isolated with Samsung devices. However I disagree that it is a hardware issue, as the microphone works fine with all other apps that use it. So it is probably not fair to say the issue is clearly with the android app, generally. But specifically, the way the android app behaves on Samsung devices seems to be an issue.

I'm surprised to hear you don't have any Samsung devices locally to test, as Samsung is the most dominant Android device manufacturer worldwide. It would be much appreciated if your design team could obtain a current model Samsung smartphone to perform testing, and keep us updated. 

Thanks.

Options
2019-07-25 17:25:24

I also have a Samsung phone and two cameras and the audio is barely audible.  Samsung is the biggest smartphone brand it seems unbelievable that the app wasn't tested on a Samsung device.  That being said, I made the purchase specifically to be able to speak to my dog while I'm at work, this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5112

Replies: 25