Organized by rooms?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Organized by rooms?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Organized by rooms?
Organized by rooms?
2019-07-27 19:18:57

Does the app allow the various devices and device groups to be organized into rooms? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Organized by rooms?
2019-07-29 21:41:21

I have the same question - is there functionality that will allow devices to be organized into multiple rooms, or even multiple locations (for different homes)

Options
2019-07-29 23:04:04

@Tmoney 

@mec92 

Yes, in the Kasa app tap the top right icon "+ symbol", and add a group. You will be able to choose which devices to have, and name them.

Options
Re:Re:Organized by rooms?
2019-07-30 01:56:52

Tony, 

Grouping devices together should function as the ability to combine devices that are meant to be controlled in unison (such as a bunch of ceiling bulbs in the same area, or matching lamps). 

But, if you have a room full of various types of devices, you may want to be able to focus on what is just in the room, but not control them all in the same way or under a single controller.

Organizing devices by rooms should help to clean up the potentially long list of devices into collapsible buckets.  Alexa, Samsung Smart Things, Nest and Google Assistant all do this and expect devices connected to be able to do this too.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Organized by rooms?
2019-07-30 02:09:00

I should also mention that groups should really be the act of linking devices together and device groups should be able to be assigned icons, schedules, timers and dimmers (if available) just as how individual devices are controlled.  Once a group of devices is made, the devices included in a group should be given the option to be hidden ftom the home (or room, if developed) device list.

Thanks for listening to these suggestions.

Options
2019-08-16 12:13:57 - last edited 2019-08-16 12:14:47

I agree, but would go further with this thought...

I would like to see the following hierarchy:

Location (or Site). For example, a primary home and vacation home or perhaps the home of a relative for whom one is providing care

..and then.. 

Room (within each Location)

These are purely for organizational purposes.  Groups should still be supported and available inside the context of a Location or spanning multiple locations.

Favorites would also be a nice addition to allow any device or group to be marked as a favorite and have a shortcut to that device also live in this Favorites folder.

And...it would be nice to offer the concept of "Order"  for devices and groups where they can be ordered as desired rather than alphabetically.  Similarly, Rooms would have customizable Order in a Location and Locations would have customizable order at the top level along with Favorites and cross-location groups.

Of course, this could be completely customizable if designed with the proper data model, but even having these simple levels that match real life would be a great help for customers with many devices located at more than one location and in more than one room.

Options
Re:Re:Organized by rooms?
2019-08-16 17:18:51

^^^ +1

Options
2019-08-16 20:04:41

@Tmoney 

@AncientGeek 

Thank you guys for the well thought out feedback and ideas. 

I'm gonna reference this post to the devs.

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1186

Replies: 7