Too many presets in app causes dimming switch to reboot.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-09-20 00:31:54
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

When I use the kasa app to dim any of my hs220 dimming switches, tweaking presets or using the slider for about 4 seconds will crash the device and it will reboot in about 30 seconds. This doesn't happen with any of my tp link bulbs. Switching it off or on doesn't cause this issue on the dimmer switch. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Options
12 Reply
Re:Too many presets in app causes dimming switch to reboot.
2019-09-20 15:23:47

@Fieldcar 

What is the model of your smart phone and software version it is running?

What is the firmware version your switch is running? Tap on the switch name under devices, go to the top right icon (gear), then go to device info.

Are you able to test on another smart device? Do you get the same result?

Have the following been done?

-Reinstall the app

-Log out, log back into Kasa

Options
2019-09-20 16:12:46

@Tony 

Hello, I have answered your questions below.

What is the model of your smart phone and software version it is running?

Oneplus 5T on Android 9 (oxygenos v9.0.8)

if by software, you meant the kasa app. It's the latest through the play store. 2.15.0.875 (no updates available)

What is the firmware version your switch is running? Tap on the switch name under devices, go to the top right icon (gear), then go to device info.

Firmware Version: 1.5.8

Are you able to test on another smart device? Do you get the same result?

I swipe rapidly to many presets/colors/brightnesses for 30+ seconds on my tplink KL130 or LB130 bulbs without any issue. This crashes and reboots my TP link dimmers after ~4 seconds. I'm sure this is quickly reproducable by someone at tplink.

Have the following been done?

-Reinstall the app

-Log out, log back into Kasa

I just tried this, and it has no effect. My gut feeling is that it's not an app or phone issue, but some flaw with the software/firmware running on this dimmer.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this with me Tony. It's appreciated. I love the tplink stuff!

Options
2019-09-23 15:40:25

@Fieldcar 

Thank you for the information. We will look into this to see what we can find.

Options
2019-09-26 22:41:23

@Fieldcar 

Our testers were not able to replicate the issue.

Would it be possible to record a video clip showing the issue? You can direct message a link if you'd like.

Options
2019-09-29 13:19:39

Here is that video you were looking for.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZS7ESS6eV4Cp8SmG7

This is with my tablet running the kasa app instead of my phone. It's a huawei cheapo running android 8 I think. Let me know if you need specs on that.

After a few presets are touches or set rapidly for about 4-5 seconds, the dimmer becomes unresponsive. I didn't check the colored bulbs, but I'm sure they are ok.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the video or the situation. Thanks again for the hard work!

Options
2019-09-30 17:36:39

@Fieldcar 

Thanks for the video clip, I will get that over to them.

There may be a delay as there is a national holidy happening in China, but as soon as we get an update we will follow up.

Options
2019-10-08 15:20:09

@Fieldcar 

Pleaes enable crash reports in your Kasa app, and try to replacate the issue (Kasa > Settings > Privacy > Bug Reports). Once that is done let me know the aprox time and date so I could let the Kasa team know so they can research the report. They have tried to replicate the issue in testing themselves, but were unsuccessful.

Options
2019-10-09 20:22:04

@Tony 

I just made the dimmer crash a moment ago. 3:18PM Central standard time.  It appeared to become reachable again at 3:21PM CST.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Options
2019-10-10 16:55:48

@Fieldcar 

Thanks for the heads up.

I let them know, and I will follow up when possible.

Options
2019-10-14 15:31:55

@Fieldcar 

With the recent update of Kasa (v2.16), are you still experiencing the same issues?

To confirm, the bug reports were enabled in the app? (Kasa > Settings > Privacy > Bug Reports)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1591

Replies: 12