Cannot connect hs110 to wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-01 21:13:23
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I recently got a smart plug that I was using perfectly fine, I had my Christmas tree a small one with 1 string of lights connected and plugged into it. But last night all of a sudden my connection to my smart plug was lost and I could not get it to connect to my router so I reset my router and that did not fix my problem I tried resetting my plug to factory settings and that's not working either.  Now when I try to set up my plug as a new device it blinks green and Orange and my phone tells me to connect to the TP link Wi-Fi but it won't connect (its saying the TP link wifi isnt available) and my home Wi-Fi is not showing up on the list of connections that I can connect to. I've tried typing it in and everything to get it to connect but I think my plug is just messed up somehow? I've tried resetting it atleast 3 times and moving it and using a different phone to try and connect. 

Options
11 Reply
Re:Cannot connect hs110 to wifi
2019-12-02 03:06:26

@Katycat 

Interesting.  I'm having a similar problem.  I bought several new HS103 plugs.  I already have some others connected.  When I try to add the new plugs to the system, it knocks my router offline.  I can't see the SSID and have have to power cycle the router to get it working again.  From you description, it looks like it knocked your wifi off line too since it's not showing up in the list of connections you can connect to.  I don't know how a device could knock a routher offline, but something in the process of setting these up does that.

Options
2019-12-02 20:07:35

@Katycat 

A client device should not be able to kick your own wifi off so that should not be an issue.  However there may have been a cloud server issue, similar to an ISP outage which would make the plug unavailable.  We do not see any current outage so if you could please let us know if the issue is still there or not?

Options
2019-12-04 03:33:54 - last edited 2019-12-04 03:40:57

I can now confidently say the HS103 does not work with the Asus Blue Cave router, guest network 2.4GHz.  

I configured two of the HS103 and both knocked the router offline.  I turned off the Asus wifi and connected a TPlink WR702N to the wired port on the router.  The TPLink is configured with the same SSID and password.  Both of the HS103 worked with the TPLink, already configured.  They did not need to be configured again.  Somehow the HS103 was able to configure, but then knocked the router offline.

Next I took the TPLink offline and restored the Asus wifi.  It was knocked off the air by the HS103 plugs still plugged in.  They will not work with the ASUS router.  I also have an HS100 plug and it has been working fine with this router for months.  Something about the HS103 causes the problem.

Obviously the Asus router has some problem interacting with the HS103 devices.  It would be helpful in tracking down the problem to know how they differ from the HS100.  Whatever the problem, it requires rebooting the router, not just disabling and reenabling the wifi.  Once rebooted, it works fine if the HS103 devices are not plugged in.  The HS100 continues to work fine.  The mere act of plugging in one of these configured HS103 units knocks the Asus offline.

Options
2019-12-26 05:58:11

@RickA I am having the same issue. I just got 3 of the hs103 v2's for Christmas. I already had two hs105's set up with my nighthawk ax3000 router. When I go to connect the 3 new hs103's they completely disable my router, my WiFi signals is gone and I have to hard reboot the router to get it back. After that as soon as I even plug them back in the WiFi is gone again. I changed the security setting on my router and it stopped disabling it, however the plugs still would not connect to the WiFi. I've seen posts saying to set the router security to WPS personal, however my router does not have that option.

Options
2019-12-27 18:26:30

@Katycat 

I checked the firmware and found the new HS103 I ordered has 1.0.12, an old version.  Using the TP-link router that works, it asked to update the firmware when I installed it.  It didn't ask with the router that didn't work.  I updated to the most recent firmware 1.1.2 and it still knocked the router offline, so the defect is still in the most recent firmware.

I also have an HS100 that has version 1.5.4 and does not exhibit this problem.  I upgraded it to 1.5.6, still works with Asus router.

I also have an HS105 that has version 1.5.4 and does not exhibit this problem.  I upgraded it to 1.5.6, still works with Asus router.

It is clear that some routers have a problem.  It should not be possible to take them offline with a bad device.  The HS103 also has a problem because it knocks these routers offline.  The other Kasa devices do not have this defect. 

Options
2020-01-29 16:42:38
Hello, I have the same exact problem, but with HS100. Were you able to solve it? How??
Options
Re:Cannot connect HS110 to wifi
2020-10-06 07:52:45

Similar problem. My Hs110 v1.2 worked at a different house some time ago. Trying to set it up now usually ends with "Unable to Connect to Your Wi-Fi Network." The process seems different every time I try it. Sometimes I get a  note saying it was already configured, which I assume means my Android phone was able to connect to the HS110 open network "TP-LINK_SmartPlug_58..". I also tried connecting my phone directly to the HS110 open network and it does connect saying "local only" because I'm on the HS110 network, not my real Internet network. I can turn the outlet on and off on the local network. But when I switch my phone back to my real Internet network, I end up back at "Unable to Connect to Your Wi-Fi Network." I'm pretty sure I"m entering the right WiFi passcode. My WiFi has both 2.4 & 5 GHz. I tried a factory reset on the HS110, the same issues. I tried a different router, the same issues. Since I can connect to the HS110 open network, I wish there was a control panel on my phone or PC so I could manually set up the WiFi. Any suggestions? 

I'm tempted to but a new HS110 and see if that works. Maybe my old HS110 has gone bad.

Options
2020-10-06 09:56:00

@radiodave i actually figured out, your 2.4 and 5g have to be separate networks to sign into and you have to sign into the 2.4 for it to connect. Make sure in your internet settings the signal is actually accessible to be connected. 

Options
2020-10-06 13:46:07

@Katycat 

I ditched the Asus router and installed a TP-Link router.  It has both 2.4 and 5Gh and works with all Kasa switches and plugs I have.  The plugs shouldn't care if a 5GHz signal is available if they're using 2.4GHz.  If they use both, there is a defect in the plugs that fails to distinguish.  The Asus router also has a defect that knocks it off the air.  My 5G network has a different name... ends in "_5G". 

Options
2020-10-06 14:43:47

@RickA it does matter because mine used to toggle when they were under the same signal name so if my 2.4 wasn't working it automatically attempts the 5g and wasn't connecting or showing up. I had to separate the two and then go into my signal settings and make sure the 2.4 was setup to be accessible at all times for things like this. Highly doubt 4 plugs from 3 different brands would all be defective and then suddenly be perfectly fine once doing this lol 

RickA wrote

@Katycat 

I ditched the Asus router and installed a TP-Link router.  It has both 2.4 and 5Gh and works with all Kasa switches and plugs I have.  The plugs shouldn't care if a 5GHz signal is available if they're using 2.4GHz.  If they use both, there is a defect in the plugs that fails to distinguish.  The Asus router also has a defect that knocks it off the air.  My 5G network has a different name... ends in "_5G". 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4095

Replies: 11

Related Articles