Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Smart actions more than 3 active

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
193 Reply
Re:Smart actions more than 3 active
2020-10-29 20:06:16

@3smartactions Yep.  When you select the device that you want to control, you can set the auto off function after any specified number of minutes.

Options
2020-10-30 12:33:52 - last edited 2020-10-30 12:46:50

@KasaUser005 Thank you for the smartthings app recommendation!  This forum saved me from having to return my kasa plugs/ switches.  Having said that, I don't think smartthings has an auto-off function like @3smartactions is suggesting.  the app DOES have a timer feature but it appears to start the timer the moment you set the action...so instead of turning off after 5 minutes of the light being on it turns off 5 minutes after setting the function...not terribly useful.  BUT it does have a bunch of other if then actions and scenes that really help so it is still a net positive.

And Tp-Carl, I appreciate all the candid responses and I'm sorry that it seems like your hands are tied here since these decisions appear to have been made above you.  I think the reason everyone is upset here is that the idea of a smart device implies automation...kasa delivers that with easy set up AS LONG AS you only have 3 actions, which isn't realistic for anyone who took the time to download the app.  If I wanted to automate a single light in my house Kasa is perfect.  Anything more than that requires some other app or some other products.  I can appreciate the desire to release the features slowly and make sure everything is working properly before rolling a feature out fully, but this thread was started over a year ago we're still looking at 3 actions.  On top of that, it appears smartthings delivers exactly what I want using your products and dozens of other brands as well so maybe its time tplink partner with someone?

Options
2020-10-30 14:09:06

@nothintonobody I believe you are incorrect on the auto off function as I have tested it fully.  If you want a light to turn off after a specific number of mintues, then you can.  See picture below.  There is a difference between Delay this action and Auto Turn off.  If my garage light comes on, it turns off after 10 minutes of the light being on. 

Options
2020-10-30 14:31:58 - last edited 2020-10-30 14:32:12

@KasaUser005 very strange.  I don't seem to have that setup on mine.  when i click on the garage light i have three options, turn on by time, turn off by time and a timer option.  the timer option just starts counting down as soon as i set it, the other two act as you'd expect. 

but i was able to find the delay option in the automation section which allows me to create an if then saying "if garage light turns on then turn the garage light off (delay by 10 minutes)" and that seems to be working! so you are correct smartthings is capable of this action! :) 

Options
2020-10-30 14:34:49

@nothintonobody What version are you using?  I am on 1.7.54.21.

Options
2020-10-30 14:58:08

@KasaUser005 1.6.52-437  it appears i downloaded it last night and it is somehow not up to date.  i'll look into it.  regardless thank you for the tip again!  

Options
2020-10-31 17:42:40

@KasaUser005  Are you on android? I am on iphone and just installed and it is 1.6.52-437 and auto off option is not there. Also where do you see `Auto turn off` that is in screen shot? Is it when you set Automations section?

Options
2020-10-31 17:55:11

@boniam Yes. Set up an automation. Your if statement is a device turns on, then statement is device turns on.  When you choose on, the auto off appears. I have set up an example in screenshot below. It seems counter intuitive, but this is when you turn on a light and want it off after a certain amount of time. This can be true as well if your trigger device is something else. 

Options
2020-10-31 18:02:19 - last edited 2020-10-31 18:11:29

@KasaUser005 Got it Thanks. I was selecting Turn "off" in Then. Auto off option only shows up if you select "On" in then. I was selecting "Off" in then.

Hopefully this is better option than selecting off and delay. I will try. I wonder though what happens if you do tune on (with 10 min auto off) and turn off after 5  min and then turn on again say after 8 min. Will the first auto off turn it off after 10 min from start. Probably this option is better than just delaying off. 

Options
2020-11-06 01:13:10

KASA...KASA...TP-LINK...TP-LINK. 

• When are you going to fix this???!!!
  • Why is it limited to THREE???
  • There is not reason to have a limit!!!!

@Fortify9 

The only half-@$$ work around that is a possible option is to use IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/home). But they only let you create three rules without subscribing to a monthly charge.  And IFTTT doen't work that well for this either.

Options
Related Articles