Installing HS200 for a single pole light switch with 3 black wires

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-23 03:07:05 - last edited 2019-12-23 03:12:57
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Community,

I replaced a bunch of single pole and 3-way light switches at my home and hit a wall (no pun intended) when I tried to replace this single pole switch with a HS200.

This particular one is wired differently than the other single pole switches that i already replaced. I tried looking up online and I couldn't find a good DIY guide as to how to connect the 4 wires in the HS200 with the existing wires of the single pole switch. I would really appreciate your help in demystifying this one for me.

So here's what I have got:

First of all, the wallbox has a bundle of neutral wires secured with a wire nut. So I figure the neutral from the HS200 will go there.

The wallbox also has 2 grounding screws. So I believe I will have to attach the green ground wire from the HS200 to one of these screws.

Now, here's where I am mainly stuck. The switch has 3 black wires (see the image below) and I am not sure how to connect the live/load wires from the HS200 to these 3 black wires. So any help would be really appreciated.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Installing HS200 for a single pole light switch with 3 black wires
2019-12-31 01:30:29

@gp1275 

It looks like the wall has the correct number of wires needed to use the HS200.  With the current mechanical switch it appears your load and live wires are wired together to the same screw down on the switch.  To install the HS200 simply connect one to the HS200's live, one to its Load and then wire the netural.  If you do not have a ground available just put a wirenut on the Green wire to cap it off and that should be it.

Options
2022-01-26 12:28:34

@Carl I have a similar situation. My old switch has two back stabs and a 3rd black wire on the side screw of the switch. I'm installing smart switches that only allow 4 wires (live, load, neutral, ground). So on the new switch I connect the live and the load, what do I do with the 3rd black wire?

Options
2022-01-26 17:26:02

@ctenner32 

I would say just Cap it with a wirenut but it might be best to consult an electrican.  I am not sure what that wire is for.  

Options
2022-01-27 00:46:34

@ctenner32 

When you have three black wires, the situation is going to be one of the two following 

a) the single black wire terminal is the Line and the two together on the other terminal are to two separate loads (lights) 

or 

b) the two black wires together are line - the terminal is simply being used as a junction to carry the line onto the next circuit (wherever that might be) (actually if you separate them only one will actually be line and the other only becomes so when it is connected that other one) 

Before disconnecting, use a voltage tester and determine which terminal in 'live' and that will tell you which of the above you have. 

But regardless, it doesn't really matter in the case of an HS200, which gets line and which gets load - so the important thing is just to keep the two wires that are already together, together to whichever you select on the HS200 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8770

Replies: 4