HS200 Wired Correctly, but light won't turn on/off

HS200 Wired Correctly, but light won't turn on/off

35 Reply
Re:HS200 Wired Correctly, but light won't turn on/off
2021-02-14 06:19:22
I just used an AC milliammeter. When I switch my HS200 ON, my LED light fixture draws 7.5 milliamps (0.9 VA ~ 0.63 W RMS), and when I switch it OFF, it draws 2.5 milliamps. When I use the old-school switch, it draws 183 milliamps (22 VA ~ 15 W RMS). So it works, but not enough power for an LED light fixture. Seems like a joke. How could a light switch be commercially viable if it’s limited to milliwatts?
Options
2021-02-15 20:19:25
I've got the same issue as well. I've tried all the configurations of the wiring, and I know that's working. But it won't power the LED light on the other end of the switch.
Options
2021-02-22 02:09:10

Same issue.  Tried everything else as others mentioned.  No resolution. 

Is it really possible that the switch does not provide enough power?   That seems ridiculous. 

Options
2021-03-17 20:57:10

@Engineer_Dan Same problem here. Got the switch installed and set up in the app. It works with Alexa and everything. But it just doesn't turn on my light. Using a single-switch 72w halogen bulb, btw.

Options
2021-03-17 21:25:12

@gpg UGH! I get it now.

I only have two wires in the box. But the switch requires 2 black wires and the neutral wire. This allows for the switch to be powered separately from the light.

Since my building is old (like most houses/apartment buildings) this switch will never work with my lighting system unless I get an electrician to run some wiring (not worth it). What's more, TP Link doesn't have (nor does it ever intend to have) a smart switch capable of accommodating my requirements.

It would be nice if sellers would plaster "NOT FOR OLDER BUILDINGS" on the product page. Fortunately, I got it on sale, so I'll consider it a $12 lesson. Not that unreasonable.

Options
2021-03-17 23:53:04 - last edited 2021-03-17 23:56:11

@gpg  - pretty much all the ads I've seen state clearly "Neutral Wire Required"  - Certainly Amazon does 

It would be nice if sellers would plaster "NOT FOR OLDER BUILDINGS" on the product page. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-20 21:17:01

@Jackiesmith I have the same problem. I tried two different Kasa switches of the same model and no joy. The dumb switch does work, however. Is it possible this was wired as a three-way switch but no other switch is actually in the circuit? There is only one light switch for my garage but I too have the same wiring that you describe with the red wire coming off the cluster of black wires. 

I have successfully installed several switches that work fine in the rest of the house. One of them-there wundements! LOL 

Options
2021-03-21 00:09:17

@Engineer_Dan Same issue here. 1st nothing worked so I swapped the wires which are 2 black ( well one looks dark grey). I have a neutral wire too single pole switch.  Once swapped, the the lights turned on and dimmed for 2 minutes.  BUt now the LED ligths do not turn on at all. Only the wireless portion is working and resonding to my phone.  But no lights ever turn on now even thoight they did at 1st.  Support says its the wiring, we red it ia ll again. Same issue. no lights only wifi activity.  WHat next?!?!

Options
2021-03-28 21:50:12
Yep, complete garbage. Giant waste of time.
Options
2021-06-22 18:04:19 - last edited 2021-06-22 18:05:17

@Engineer_Dan 

My problem is that it doesn't work with LED bulbs, they either strobe, are dim or not work at all; I have tried at least 5 different brands of LED bulbs, dimmable or not.

I have no such problems with my Lutron Caseta switches (16 of them!), only two rooms in my house don't have them yet.

I wanted to try these since they are 1/3 the price but I guess you get what you pay for...

And of course I missed the return deadline on Amazon, so now I am stuck with it.

Options
Related Articles