2-gang wall plate for HS200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

2-gang wall plate for HS200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
52 Reply
Re:2-gang wall plate for HS200
2021-10-16 23:09:58
Suck less, be better... This is a huge issue for so many of us that have multiple switches in 2 gang boxes. It's the reason my entire house isn't full of your switches.
Options
2021-10-18 07:09:47

@Tony 

I tried and saw online several 2 gang plates and no of the fits flat as the 1 gang , the switches are great but if I whould know this before I purchased and installed 28 switches I whould search for a deferent switch...

I don't get it Kasa customer service aren't you concerned about all these comments and demand  ?

Options
2021-10-20 14:20:26

@dianay 

I purahcased 2 gang wall plates in menards.

Options
2021-11-08 02:02:02

I have been looking at the new GE Cync WiFi + Bluetooth smart switches. They are bit more expensive, but they do not have a proprietary design with the wall plates and switches.

Options
2021-11-23 14:52:58

@dianay In my case, I installed a Kasa switch in a 2-gang switch location (leaving the other standard switch in place). I found the same thing - that the switch plate looks "popped out" from the wall. If you look closely, the cause of the plate not sitting flush to the wall is due to the fact that there is a "shoulder" area on the back of the screw holes on the switch plate. It is a simple matter to grind them down a bit with a Dremel tool or something similar. It literally took me less than a minute to grind the offending material away from the back of the screw holes, allowing the switch to come forward into the switch plate further, which allows the switch plate to sit flush to the wall.

No need to search for and purchase specific plates that fit Kasa switches better ... Problem solved!

Options
2021-11-23 21:35:33

@Raptor23 

Which plates did you buy?

Thanks

Options
2021-11-23 23:12:25

@Kaput5 I didn't buy any wall plates ... I used what was already there but had to grind down the obstruction on the inside of the plate at the screw holes.

Options
2022-01-06 17:10:42

@Raptor23 Yeah, not about to void warranties due to modifications. TP-Link needs to provided match gang plates for 2, 3, 4, and even 5 (not that common) swtich arrays. I have 75 switches in my house. I would loive to move ofrward with TP-Link Kasa, but I will not until they provide addtional gang plates.

Options
2022-01-09 08:33:57

Hi, I suspect those same wall plates will work for the HS210 switch, but my situation involves one location with a single-pole regular switch (no need for a smart switch there), and the HS210.  Will the wall plate work in reverse and lift the regular switch our to fit?  I sure hope so.

Options
2022-01-16 21:11:57 - last edited 2022-01-16 22:41:40

The real way to solve this is for TP-Link to stop making irregularly thick mounting plates for some switches. (Where "mounting plate" means the smaller, metal plate that is part of the switch itself, which gets screwed onto the wall box, upon which is screwed the wall plate to which the cover plate snaps.)  I say "some" because some of their switches, like the original dimmers, have a commonly thin, metal mounting plate that mounts well with just about every other device on the market. But, most other Kasa switching devices have a substantially thicker, plastic mounting plate. These are the problematic ones that will not sit flush, that cause conforming switches to not sit flush and keep cause cover plates to separate from the wall. It just leads to a very ugly, unprofessional look. After installing them in my home, I would never use Kasa switches in my home automation business.

If TP-Link is going to be proprietary, then they should at least supply a wider range of proprietary accessories. What would be better is if they just conformed to the most common form factors. This way, people like me will have one less thing to regret about leaping into heavily investing in the Kasa line before realizing these annoying quirks.  That the switches are some of the cheapest on the market will help  TP-Link's sales in the short term. But in the long run, these issues will damage the company's credibility in the home automation market. 

Options
Related Articles