HS210 in a 4-way scenario?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-04 20:14:40
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey Everyone:

I asked this question of TP-Link support and they were...less than helpful.

I have some lights that are in a 4-way config. Is there any way to set up at least one HS210 in this scenario, and have it work correctly in conjunction with the other manual switches?

Current Configuration:

Switch #1: 3-way switch, HAS neutral.

Switch #2: 3-way switch, HAS neutral.

Switch #3: 3-way switch, NO NEUTRAL.

Switch #4: 4-way switch, just has the travelers going to it -- NO NEUTRAL.

So basically, can I replace "Switch #1" or "Switch #2" (or both??) with HS210, will it work in this setup and will switches #3 and #4 still function?

Options
14 Reply
Re:HS210 in a 4-way scenario?
2020-08-23 23:05:04

@mgudites I have the same problem. Are you able to resolve it?

Options
2020-08-24 10:55:56

@SMAKLE 

Yes, I did get this working!

What you want to do is purchase ONE 3-way switch from TP-Link (you don't need a two-pack), and install it in the 3-way switch location in your circuit that is connected directly to the breaker-side of the circuit. So basically, if you were to pull out all four of your switches, whichever of the three-way locations still had power coming to it from the breaker, THAT is where you want to install your T-P Link 3-way switch. 

Using this configuration, all three of the "dumb" switches still work fine, and the Smart switch is able to see when I control the lights using the other three switches as well.

Options
2020-08-25 23:00:01
Thank you. I will try that :)
Options
2020-08-28 18:21:45

@mgudites 

Looking for some help here - also looking at a 4 way switch ( 3 different light switches that control the same set of hallway lights).

When we looked on diffrent amazon reviews, seems like many people were able to get it to work with just switching out 1 of the light switches.  So the electrician did that this past week, on 2 different sets of 4 way switchs.

Physically pushing on any of the 3 switches on either of the 2 sets of lights works perfectly fine.  In the KASA app, when I push on/off the lights respond, although there is a bit of a lag and sometimes the status is wrong.

However, when I try and control through alexa or through voice, the lights don't respond.  Is it because I need to install another smart switch?

Thanks for any help!

mgudites wrote

Hey Everyone:

I asked this question of TP-Link support and they were...less than helpful.

I have some lights that are in a 4-way config. Is there any way to set up at least one HS210 in this scenario, and have it work correctly in conjunction with the other manual switches?

Current Configuration:

Switch #1: 3-way switch, HAS neutral.

Switch #2: 3-way switch, HAS neutral.

Switch #3: 3-way switch, NO NEUTRAL.

Switch #4: 4-way switch, just has the travelers going to it -- NO NEUTRAL.

So basically, can I replace "Switch #1" or "Switch #2" (or both??) with HS210, will it work in this setup and will switches #3 and #4 still function?

Options
2020-08-28 18:50:12 - last edited 2020-08-28 18:50:34

@mdcubsfan 

In my particular setup (which had four switches), I had problems putting the TP-Link switch anywhere but the location where the power is coming in from the breaker. I have three light circuits in the house using TP-Link 3-way switches, and on each of them I ONLY used ONE TP-Link 3-way switch, leaving regular 'dumb' switches everywhere else.

On one of my lights, for a while I had a TP-Link switch in one of the other locations in the setup (where the "traveler" switches go). When I had it like that, I kept having weird problems like what you're talking about. The app was confused about the status, and the indicator light was doing this weird random blinking. As soon as I moved the switch to location where the power feeds in, my problems went away.

Options
2020-08-28 19:11:52
Thanks so much for your suggestions! So hopefully for my situation (3 switches) I just have to move 1 smart TP link switch to the location where power feeds in, keep the other 2 as normal "dumb" switches, and it will stop glitching, correct? I'm not too handy and scared of electricity, so will wait until net time the electrician comes over.
Options
2020-08-28 19:14:19

mdcubsfan wrote

Thanks so much for your suggestions! So hopefully for my situation (3 switches) I just have to move 1 smart TP link switch to the location where power feeds in, keep the other 2 as normal "dumb" switches, and it will stop glitching, correct? I'm not too handy and scared of electricity, so will wait until net time the electrician comes over.

@mdcubsfan  Yep that's what worked for me!

Options
2020-08-29 19:32:19

@mdcubsfan Can you give an update please?  Did this work correctly?  Do the dummy switches (the switches after the first in the series) sill correctly toggle power?  Does the app register the correct status?  Does the LED on the smart switch work properly?

Options
2020-08-29 21:01:44

@Dshollis 

Haven't had a chance to rewire, as I'm not going to try and do it myself.  Just not handy enough and don't want to damage anything or myself LOL

Have reached out to my electrician to see when he can come back out to do it, and will defintiely give an update at that time!

Options
2020-10-06 01:20:26

@mgudites So i finally got the electrician back over.  He moved the Kasa switch from the traveler location to the spot where the power comes in.  He did this for both of the 3 way switches we were trying to fix.

Physically, the lights still turn on and of with any of the physical switches.  

Now in the Kasa app the lights respond after one toggle, but the status bar in the app goes to "on" and then automatically goes to "off" even when the lights are still on.  Then while the status says "off" even when the lights are on, I hit it again and the lights turn off and the status stays "off."

So at least in Kasa app it's responding, but the status always stays in the "off" position.

In the smart things app, which is the hub I'm using, the status lights are not correct and I have to consistently hit i twice to make it turn either on or off.  It's like it didn't even respond to the first time I press, but it does to the second.  This is for turning lights on or off.  And status in smart things app is constantly wrong.  And using Alexa for voice commands doesn't work either.

So I wish I could say everything worked once he moved it to the power source, but still having tons of problems.  Any other suggestions? Is it a firmware or a programming issue for either Kasa or smartthings app?

mgudites wrote

mdcubsfan wrote

@mdcubsfan  Yep that's what worked for me!

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 14496

Replies: 14