3 black wires?? Light won't switch on but there's power coming through

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-22 04:50:45 - last edited 2020-05-22 05:20:45
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest firmware

Hello, I'm trying to install the HS200, replacing a single pole light switch which had 1 black wire bent around the screw and one ground connected to it. The 1 black wire is pigtailed with two more black wires (the extra black one powers the outlets in this room, but did not turn on/off the outlets with the switch, just the light). In the box there's total of 3 black, 2 white and 1 copper. So i put all 3 black wires and one black wire from HS200 together and nut screwed them. And obviously the white with whites and the green with copper. The fan works, there's power coming to the HS200 but will not turn on/off the light. I tried multiple combinations with the 3 black wires, sometimes the HS200 powered on/off the outlets, the other times it powered on/off the fan only(explained below). And other times none the outlets nor the fan worked. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't figure it out. The other light switches around the house only have 2 black wires and it seems pretty straightforward on those. But I'm not sure how to work this out with 3 black wires intertwined, from which the 3rd one is meant to be for outlets. Sorry this is my first time working with electrical so I'm not really sure what I'm missing. I searched alot on this but couldn't find anything online. Please let me know if pics or more info is needed.

Sidenote: I left the fan (works through a pull chain) running so I could determine if power was coming through or not. Also the fan was independent of the previous switch, meaning regardless of the light turned on or off, I could have the fan running either way. 

Thank you in advance!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1046

Replies: 0

Related Articles