M9 Plus randomly looses internet (light turns red)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-04 20:37:28
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20190821 Rel 54023

In the last three days, our M9 Plus has started randomly dropping the internet (red light). This affects both WiFi devices and the one hardwired computer.  Makes it difficult to keep working from home.  My wife thinks it only happens when the wired computer is using the internet, but it happens even when that computer is off.  Our ISP (consolidated communications)  remotely sees no errors in the gateway.  I swapped the 2 M9 Pluses and have the same problem.  Consolidated sent out a (their only)  tech and he could see no current or historical problems in their (crappy) equipment.  Help! 

Options
5 Reply
Re:M9 Plus randomly looses internet (light turns red)
2020-06-04 23:05:32

@smatlock 

I would look at swapping the Ethernet cable being used from the main Deco to the modem. 

If the drops happen in a pattern where you can predict them, you can look to have a computer directly connected to see if the drops still happen. It might not be a practical solution, but can be tried if possible.

If you happen to have a spare router, use that to see if the drops happen. If not, then it could be a problem with the Deco units.

Options
2020-06-08 18:03:40

@smatlock are you using Ethernet backhaul? I had the red light issue, and fixed with the solution below. I just replied to another post so I'll just copy and paste this.

I had a problem with the M9 plus and Ethernet backhaul. It turns out both the dlink and Netgear switches I was using didn't support forwarding some type of specific control packets, which resulted in a reboot loop of the main Deco. Luckily I had a TP-Link switch laying around that it ended up working on

Options
2020-06-19 18:03:52

@Tony 

I did swap the ethernet cable and initially it didn't appear to make a difference.  However, whether due to the new cable or just the magic of computer issues, the problem did clear up in a few days.  And, knock on wood, hasn't returned in the last couple of weeks. 

Thanks for your help, 

Steve

Options
2020-06-19 18:05:07 - last edited 2020-06-19 18:06:44

@Steve_______

I wish. It seems like that should improve performance.

Options
2020-07-18 00:37:43

@Tony Wow, thank you...I spent three hours trying to fix a solid red light on my M3. Did three reboots AND resets, nothing. Then tried the videos instead of the written tips on the app (which had different and more detailed info) and got it to work. Then later, I had to reboot my modem and it turned the M3 red again. This time NOTHING worked (another three hours!). In desperation I did one last disconnect and unplug of everything, swapped the Ethernet cable, and it worked! Light is lovely bluish-white and the network is online.

(Though I have been afraid to even open the phone app again for fear it either won't connect or will screw things up, LOL.)

Gotta love the low-tech solution! Hope it holds up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1672

Replies: 5