Adding HS200 to poolbox to control pool light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 23:34:09
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: unknown

Trying to add hs200 to replace manual switch in pool panel.  Suspect I missed something on the wiring.   Green goes directly to the groung block on the panel.  White goes directly to the neutral panel bloc.  First black direct to breaker.  Second black goes to the light. Green from light direct to ground block.  White from light directly to neutral block on panel.  Anyone see what I am missing?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding HS200 to poolbox to control pool light
2020-06-11 03:17:22 - last edited 2020-06-11 03:19:55

@Endy29 

I just did this tonight and it worked great. In my case the pool light was controlled by a breaker switch. When I pulled off the panel, I saw the breaker switch went to a standard outdoor eletrical outlet on the side of the pool panel box. The pool light was wired into the electrical outlet. Explains why I thought the outlet didn't work because I never tried it with the pool light on. So I cut/spliced the pool light hot wire from the outlet switch, wired in the the two black wires from the HS200 to each end of the freshly cut hot wire (after stripping a bit on each end of course). Then as you state, wired the ground to the ground block and the white to the neutral block. Once I finished the wiring and flipped the breaker switch back on, the HS200 switch started blinking orange and green and I was able to join it to my network via the app. Working great through Alexa now. Added an automatic shut off schedule late in the evening for when the kids forget to turn the pool light off.

In  your case, I would verify the previous wiring. Was the pool light wired directly into the breaker? If so you might need to turn the breaker switch on and leave it on for your HS200 switch to start working. Another option would be to leave the current wiring in place, but simply splice the hot wire to the pool light like I did. Basically inserting the switch into the hot wire running to the pool light.

Options