Cannot connect to VPN server (openVPN)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-27 15:40:37
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8 Build 20200426 rel.65338(4555)

I've setup OpenVPN as stated in the guide (first enabled dynamic DNS through TP link). 

Client access is internet + local. I've tried both UDP and TCP. I have generated a certificate. When I export/import the config file however, I get a local IP address. I don't know if that's what it's supposed to be but I was expecting an external IP or the TP link domain name (DDNS).

On my external client PC, I downloaded OpenVPN community edition and also tried OpenVPN Connect, but I get an error 'there was an error attempting to connect to the selected server'.

What can I do to fix this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Cannot connect to VPN server (openVPN)
2020-06-29 22:10:43

@skalders 

Here is a guide we have on setting up OpenVPN: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1544/

During the setup, the VPN local IP will be referenced. The DDNS is used so you do not need to track the public IP.

When testing on the PC, is that connected to the Wi-Fi of the TP-Link router? If so, enable the mobile hotspots on your cell phone, then connect your computer to that and test the OpenVPN connection.

Options
2020-06-29 22:15:56

@Tony 

Hi Tony, thanks for the reaction. I can connect to openVPN by now, but cannot RDP or even ping any device from an external PC. I made a new topic for this:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/214426?

Options
2020-06-30 15:08:55

@skalders 

The forum that has /en/ is actually our global forum, which is fine. Someone else should follow up with you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5101

Replies: 3

Related Articles