HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-03 03:04:53
Model: HS103  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.2

I have 2 HS103s and both are randomly turning off then right back on.  This started last week.  Anyone know what could be causing this or how to resolve it?

Options
22 Reply
Re:HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on
2020-08-03 20:28:09

@Tracie 

If both are on the same outlet or in the same room, move them to somewhere else. I would check if there are any schedules in the Kasa or other services like Alexa etc. if that is configured.

Unplug whatever is connected, you can move the plugin an area normally traffic so you can hear if it still clicks.

Options
2020-08-03 21:00:38

@Tony They are in different rooms. No schedules are set. 

Options
2020-08-04 18:39:17

@Tracie 

I would try reinstalling the Kasa app and factory reset the plugs by holding the button on the side for 15 seconds.

If it may be related to the software you can try uploading the current firmware to the plugs by downloading the utility below:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202003/20200312/Upgrade_Instruction.zip

There is a word document that will show how to update the plugs. Perform on one plug at a time.

Options
2020-08-14 14:09:33

@Tracie 

Do you have a mesh network deployed? I have a DECO P9 mesh network equipment and I'm running into the same problem. What I have discovered is that I have two HS103 that like to move between network nodes. I'm not sure why my HS103 plugs will all of a sudden want to switch to a node that is on the opposite side of the house, but everytime they do the lights turn off and back on immediately. It's pretty annoying since I've found no way to prevent the plugs from moving around. I'm thinking about standing up my old wifi router again and setup a 2nd NON-MESH network just for my "smart" plugs. Good luck.

- Anton

Options
Re:HS103 randomly turns off then immediately back on [bookmark]
2020-08-14 18:57:02 - last edited 2020-08-15 20:55:06

@Tony I have an HS210 (one out of 22) that does this somewhat infrequently, & I've seen it very rarely with a couple of other  Kasa devices.  Normally off, it switches to ON for about a second, then back to OFF.  It's not part of any Kasa scene or Google Assistant schedule or group.  When it happens, it's about the same time each day.  It's a switch that gets low usage.  I wonder if it's doing a reset, and/or a transient WiFi / DHCP issue.

I have a spare HS210, but given the difficulty & annoyance of replacing a Kasa switch in a switch box crowded with wires, & the relative infrequency of the problem, I've just ignored the issue.

Options
2020-12-08 23:04:26 - last edited 2020-12-08 23:11:41

@Tony  I performed the upgrade using the app on my pc on 3 of my HS103 V2 flickering. I upgraded the firmware on all 3. None of them will turn on anymore. It acts like it is dead. I now have 3 dead HS103 V2

Options
2021-01-27 13:03:38 - last edited 2021-01-27 19:53:31

@anton1138  wrote

Do you have a mesh network deployed? I have a DECO P9 mesh network equipment and I'm running into the same problem. What I have discovered is that I have two HS103 that like to move between network nodes. I'm not sure why my HS103 plugs will all of a sudden want to switch to a node that is on the opposite side of the house, but everytime they do the lights turn off and back on immediately. It's pretty annoying since I've found no way to prevent the plugs from moving around. I'm thinking about standing up my old wifi router again and setup a 2nd NON-MESH network just for my "smart" plugs. Good luck.

@anton1138 

Yep, confirmed. Some of my HS200's, 210's and all of my HS103's are doing this on my omada based multi AP network.

I have a bit more control than with deco mesh systems and was able to set up each AP with an extra unique SSID just for these components so they wouldn't hop around.  This way i assign individual tplink kasa switches or smart plugs to the closest AP to the devices location.

This has been incredibly annoying.  The switches used to flip off and on multiple times an hour.  Since assigning the switches to specific AP's through the mentioned custom SSIDS they have been perfect.

It shouldn't be this way though.  Lots of people are moving to mesh wifi. 

@Tony I believe we will need a firmware fix to stop these switches from turning off and on when they hop to another node.

Options
2021-01-28 23:14:53

With respect to the rebooting and the device being in any mesh network setting.

What if a single network is available. Either a single Deco node or unique network name (not Deco), does the issue seem to stop?

Options
2021-01-28 23:44:37 - last edited 2021-01-29 00:07:31

@Tony 

I don't fully understand the question, but I will say simply...

If the tplink kasa smart device is connected to my omada multi AP SSID the devices -hop- to different nodes and turn off and on as they do so.

When I made it impossible to hop nodes by giving each access point a custom and unique SSID and pointed the smart devices to the closest APs custome ssid this issue fully resolved.

Also.  This is not a good solution for the average user due to this being a fairly technical process to correct.

Ultimately I am programmatically creating  single network on each my 5 APs joining individual kasa devices to the closest unique network SSID solves it.

It is solved when the devices cannot hop nodes, but this is a work around that should not be needed.  I have other smart switches from different manufacturers that do not have this issue..  including genie, merkury and xiaomi.

Options
2021-01-29 12:40:30

Reading your question again. @Tony 

When you say reboot I think of a multiple second process.  It is interesting if that is what they are doing due to node hops.

It is about 1/4 second process when it happens.  Off and on with a fast audible, click click sound and the hs103 blue light flashes briefly.

It has been 3 days since I put the devices in isolated SSIDs/AP combinations and this work around is still working perfectly

I formerly got about 40 off/ons per day for each hs103 to now zero.

Not as many times per day for the HS200 and 210's  But now zero off/ons for these too.

If support would like to look at my Omada cloud controller configuration / logs from my oc200 I can provide a temporary account through the ticket you created.  I can also put the devices back into the state they were in when they were "rebooting" for observation.  Let me know.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6995

Replies: 22