Smart dimmer configures but doesn't control lights

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-08 19:57:57
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi - having trouble with installation of HS220. Circuit was originally configured as a dimmer with 3-way, so I rewired and covered up the other fixed switch which was never used anyway. After converting, I put back the original manual dimmer to confirm operation - all good. Then I replaced the dimmer with the TP-Link smart dimmer. Configuration and setup went perfectly (connected to WiFi, etc.) but when it gets to the Test screen, the lights don't turn on. And when I manually control from the switch they don't go on either. I put back the original dumb dimmer and all works as expected.

What could be going on?  The switch controls about 6 recessed ceiling cans, each has a dimmable LED bulb.  The manual dimmer works terribly - it has almost no control between full on and almost off by barely moving the dimmer slider so I'm looking to replace with a better dimmer and integrate into my other TP-Link devices.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart dimmer configures but doesn't control lights
2020-09-09 20:03:10

@SEJohnson 

The HS220 does not work on a three-way circuit, only a single-pole switch. The only three-way switches we have are the HS210s, which does not dim.

Options
2020-09-10 04:46:11

@Tony it is no longer a 3-way circuit. I removed the other switch and tied the traveler to the common so it's always "On". I confirmed that it works using the original dimmer. 

Any other ideas?

Options
2020-09-16 19:54:03

@SEJohnson I am having this same problem.  Did you ever figure it out?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 508

Replies: 3