HS200 Smart Switch Fried?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-10 20:25:44
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a few existing HS200 smart switches, as well as the dimmer versions that work great.  These were installed by a handyman that has since retired.

Yesterday, a new handyman hooked up a brand new HS200 smart switch to replace an existing non-smart switch that controls power to an outdoor outlet.  This outdoor outlet has a LED transformer plugged into it that my deck LED lights are connected to.  The transfomer power is always set to ON, and the light switch turns on and off the outlet, which in turn turns on and off the lights.  When the handyman connected the switch he asked me if I kneww if the line/load terminals mattered as they both said line/load.  The switch powered up and I was able to configure it through the app.  I then turned the switch on and off and suddenly it stopped working - the light on the switch was no longer illuminated.  I could be wrong, but I believe the switch got "fried".  He re-connected my old non-smart switch with a timer, and of course it worked fine.  So, I'm guessing since he never installed this type of switch before, he did it incorrectly.  Before I find a third handyman/electrician, can someone in laymens terms give me a breakdown of which wire should go into which terminal on the switch. I do have a neutral wire.

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS200 Smart Switch Fried?
2020-09-11 17:46:35

@MikeyInNewYork 

The HS200 does not specify which black wire is line or load, it can be either, the HS220 has a specific terminal for line and load.

If the switch was wired incorrectly users have reported the light simply not turning on the connected lights or flickering. In your case, if the switch no longer functions (dies) I wonder if something else may have happened.

Options
2020-09-11 19:43:04

@Tony thank you.  I will check if a connection got loose.  Have you heard of the switch working and then after turning it on/off it breaking?  As mentioned, it is poweing an outlet

Options
2020-09-11 23:09:08

@MikeyInNewYork 

I have not seeing it, but it could be possible. If that is the case though I would reach out to our support since it may have malfunctioned.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1414

Replies: 3