HS220 v1 switches dropping

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-22 07:00:56 - last edited 2020-09-26 09:29:27
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.11

I have 3 HS220 V1 switches installed in my house. They all worked great for months. 

Within the lats month, however, they periodically no longer show up as active in my kasa app. This might have coincided with me installing a TP-Link Deco M9 plus mesh network in my house, but I can't quite recall. When the switches fail, I have pressed the reset button down for a few seconds until they flash the orange/green wifi symbol. Delete them from the app, and then re-add them. Then they work again for a couple days until they fail again.

Right now, there are 2 switches failing.

One says: 
"Remote Control Disabled. You can enable Remote Control when you're connected to your home Wi-Fi"

The other says:
"Device Unreachable. Your device may be powered off or out of network range."

I don't think I've seen that Remote Control Disabled message before. I think it's always been the Device Unreachable message.​​ I'm definitely connected to my home wifi network. And the switches still work manually, and don't display any sort of disconnected indication aside from in the app.

I could try reconnecting my old router, but I don't get as good coverage with that in my house.

Also, is there a difference between holding the reset button down for a few seconds until it flashes orange/green and holding it down longer?

Anyone seen this before? It's really frustrating. I've had to reset 1-2 switches pretty much every single day for the last week. It seems like it's getting worse.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:HS220 v1 switches dropping-Solution
2020-09-22 18:32:10 - last edited 2020-09-26 09:29:27

@thepuzzlemaster 

Try enabling the guest network for the Deco, and just have the 2.4G enabled. Connect both of your switches to that network and test it. Through the app, the switches will still be controlled the same.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:HS220 v1 switches dropping-Solution
2020-09-22 18:32:10 - last edited 2020-09-26 09:29:27

@thepuzzlemaster 

Try enabling the guest network for the Deco, and just have the 2.4G enabled. Connect both of your switches to that network and test it. Through the app, the switches will still be controlled the same.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:HS220 v1 switches dropping
2020-09-23 08:29:57

@Tony thanks for the suggestion. I switched them over to the guest network this afternoon and so far so good. We'll see if that lasts. 

Options
Re:HS220 v1 switches dropping
2020-09-26 09:29:54
It's been a few more days, and I've had no drops since setting up the guest network. Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1035

Replies: 3