HS200 stopped activating switch, but responds to group

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-05 02:45:35
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.7

Hi.  So I've been using these switches for 1-2 years no problem, and no changes to wiring.

Today, I noticed my HS200 switch that controls my outdoor floodlights would not turn the lights on.  I physically pressed the button when I discovered this.  (It also does not work when the individual switch, not the group, is activated in the Kasa app or by Alexa.  The group works, and even changes the status of the non-working switch.)

1. Physically pressing the switch does not turn the lights on/off, but DOES turn the circle indicator on the switch on/off.

2. It is obviously connected to the network, as explained below.

3. Activating the individual switch in the Kasa app turns the switch on/off, as seen by the circle indicator changing status as well as by the clicking noise.  It does NOT, however, turn on the lights.

4. If I activate the group in the app, not just the individual switch, the lights DO turn on.  It ALSO activates the non-working switch, as again indicated by the circle indicator and the clicking noise.  So clearly the switch is part of the group controlling the floodlights.

5.  To no surprise using Alexa results in the exact same results as above.  Telling Alexa to activate the individual switch causes its status to change and click, but the lights do not come on.  Telling Alexa to activate the group also causes the switch to change status and click, but the lights DO come on.

6. Yes, this is in a group with an HS210.  Nothing has changed from the past year+ when all the switches always worked.

This is a problem because myself and especially others in the house are accustomed to using the physical switch right by the outside door all the time, which no longer works after a year+ with no problems.

Solution? Ideas?  I've tried to lay this out as clearly and simply as possible.  After discovering this problem I also went in and did a factory reset and update.  It changed nothing. The results above reflect the current status of my updated system (which is exactly the same as the results before I reset it all).

thanks for any help

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS200 stopped activating switch, but responds to group
2020-10-05 09:45:25

Wow, so I just discovered that another switch we use daily, as it controls our main family room lights, no longer activates the group when the switch is physically pressed.  That's two switches in completely separate groups that both stopped working overnight.

1. This switch directly controls one lamp, and is grouped so as to control a second lamp plugged into a smart outlet.  The lamp it directly controls works when physically pressed, but it no longer turns on/off the second lamp that is plugged into the outlet when the switch is physically pressed.

2. Activating the family room lamps GROUP in the app DOES work as it should and turns both lamps on/off.  

3.  Activating the individual smart outlet(plug) in the app also works and turns the connected lamp on/off.

So in this case the physical pressing of the switch (HS200) does not activate the entire group as it should, even though the group and individual outlet both function properly in the app.  Both of these malfunctioning HS200 switches are failing in seemingly the same way in that they fail to activate their group.

Both worked yesterday, and for a full year or so prior, and both suddenly failed to work today, in totally different groups and circuits.  As previously stated I discovered the first (floodlights) failed to work BEFORE I manually updated any firmware.  

I ordered and installed 15-20 TP-Link Kasa smart switches and outlets/plugs when I installed these.  These are the only two switches in the bunch that I have set to control a group, not just a single light/circuit, and both suddenly stopped working on the same day when they are PHYSICALLY activated.  What happened???

Options
2020-10-05 09:58:55
For clarity, it appears that both of these HS200 switches have suddenly stopped controlling their group over WiFi, even though they themselves can be controlled via WiFi using the app/Alexa. The first switch is not directly wired into any circuit, and while its own status can be changed by physically pressing it or using the app, it no longer activates it’s group. The second switch IS directly wired into a circuit, and controls that circuit as it should, but also no longer activates the other outlet in its group when it is in when physically pressed or individually activated in the app (the smart outlet works properly when individually activates in the app).
Options
2020-10-05 22:10:38

@joeyjoey 

Have you tried swapping one of those switches with one that works normally to see if the issue follows the switch or status with the outlet? If it follows the switch I would reach out to support as something went wrong.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 660

Replies: 3