Add a third 3-way switch without wiring?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-26 18:01:53

We have a "T" shaped hallway that has a 3-way switch at the two top corners, but not at the bottom of the "T".  Of course there is no wiring from the light fixture to the T's bottom, but I really need a light switch there, that's the entrance to the master bedroom.  Does Kasa make such a device?  It would be wonderful to add switches where needed, just a device that sends a signal for the wifi to turn on or off the light.  It would also be great to add another kitchen light switch, currently there is only one but gosh is another needed on the other side of the kitchen.

I've looked through the product line and haven't found anything.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Add a third 3-way switch without wiring?
2020-10-27 18:50:10

@Jim222 

I think you may be referring to a 4-way switch layout? 

There have been other threads of users trying to install the HS210, worked for some, not for others.

We don't have material regarding 4-way setups so you may need to look at a third-party solution.

Options
2020-10-27 19:20:49

@Jim222 This may not be the way you want to go, but it worked for me.  I might also add that I am very pleased with the performance.  I added a Samsung Smarthings hub to my home network and purchased a push button to do this exact thing.  Took minutes to install and I also use it for other actions.  Let me know if you need more of an explanation on how this works.  The button is only 14.99 but you need the hub at 69.99 to make it work.  Of course, after you buy the hub then you can do alot more things with it.  I linked my Kasa account to Smarthings and the only thing I use the Kasa app for is to view the cameras.  All of my unlimited number of smart actions are done through Smarthings.  Bite the bullet and buy the hub and button.  You won't be sorry.  They also have motion sensors, etc.  

button - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-button-white/6265829.p?skuId=6265829

hub - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-smartthings-hub-white/6265835.p?skuId=6265835

Options
2020-11-05 21:37:00

Thanks Tony, Thanks KasaUser005.

I guess I'm not good at explaining.

Not looking for 4-way, as the spot where I need a switch has no existing switch or wires.  I want to replace the existing two 3-way switches with 3-way smart switches, then have another switch - battery operated - that I could put on the wall outside our master bedroom.  Then I want this battery powered switch (remember, there's no wiring to the wall outside my bedroom) to send a wi-fi signal to the other switches to turn the hallway light on/off.

KasaUser005 - I think your Samsung Smartthing idea would be perfect, but I want a switch outside the door.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 624

Replies: 3