DNS Fail on smart plug remote control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-01 18:22:01 - last edited 2020-11-01 18:23:14
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 10.21

Smart Plug disconnected from network (other plugs in home did not).  Tried simple turn off/turn on but no joy.  Finally reset to factory resettings and configured as a new device.  Device setup up in "Local Only" but when trying to set for Remote Control, kept getting a "DNS Fail" error.  After several retries found someone with similar problem had reset his router DNS to Google's DNS IP address (8.8.8.8).  

Went into the settings of my home router (Netgear Nighthawk), turned off feature to get DNS from ISP (Verizon) automatically.  I continued to use the primary DNS address from my ISP but added a secondary IP address 8.8.8.8.  After router rebooted, I tried to reset the Remote Control option, but continued to fail.  However, I still got notice from Alexa app that the smart plug was available.  I did a quick search for the plug in the Alexa app, found it and added it to the appropriate group.   All seems to work now.

Options
4 Reply
Re:DNS Fail on smart plug remote control
2020-11-03 00:54:05

@slkshock7 

I Silk that's a new one.  You may want to just switch to Google's DNS all together they are usually more reliable then those from the ISP.  Primary 8.8.8.8 and Secondary 8.8.4.4.  Keep us updated if this comes back.  We may need to look into it with our engieneering team.

Options
2021-03-09 02:10:45

@slkshock7 I'm also having this issue. When trying to allow remote connection, I get a "DNS fail" message.

Options
2022-01-16 11:04:10

@mousehouse_ryan 

Was the Issue  solved?  I have the same now.

Options
2022-01-16 18:14:06

@Schoschi yes, haven't had an issue since

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1827

Replies: 4

Related Articles