New network - inside, outside, barn

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-17 15:40:30
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have no experience with this - so please, explain like I am 5.

I am looking to have wireless mesh as well as an outdoor access point (or two).

I cannot find a place that describes the difference among all the Deco products. I keep reading outdoor access points do not work with Deco. I also  cannot find a place to help me pick from EAP110/225/255.

If I end up with two home networks, that is fine. I would like to purchase the appropriate models for my application.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:New network - inside, outside, barn
2020-11-17 22:53:12 - last edited 2020-11-19 22:52:29

@jmob 

The Deco units will work with EAP devices as the EAP only needs a wired internet connection from one of the Deco LAN ports. The area that won't work is the mesh network in that the Deco will be its own Wi-Fi mesh network, the EAP Wi-Fi would be its own wireless network. So think of it as having a router in the house, and a router outside.

In terms of being on a mesh network, what happens is the Deco will recommend the device what node to connect to, and the client device will ultimately connect. Say a device doesn't support mesh, it would just connect depending on what its threshold is set to, maybe the strongest signal or stays connected until the signal disappears. So walking from in the house to outside is not bad or will cause issues, your device will jump over to the next available network in the end.

I would probably go for the Deco M9, I like its wireless backhaul, but if you want something more affordable I would look at the Deco M5.

I am not sure what speeds you may be with the satellite Deco that would be wired to the EAP or main Deco, but the EAP110-Outdoor is 2.4G only, and the EAP225-Outdoor is 2.4G and 5G.

What is the coverage area you are looking for? Are you expecting coverage to be the entire backyard or to only have Wi-Fi at your barn? If just your barn how far is that?

Options
2020-11-19 01:15:27

Tony, this is so helpful!

I am looking to have the backyard, maybe where we ride, which is kind of the side yard, and the barn which is about 200' from the house. I ran one Cat6 underground to a hay barn for a security camera. I am no disappointed that I did not run two so I could put an access point there, too.

Options
2020-11-19 04:25:41

Looking at EAP225. Do I wnat Omada or Mu-Mimo?

Options
2020-11-19 22:56:57

@jmob 

Omada is the software used to control the AP units. Since you only have one, you can log into it directly and set it up like a typical access point so I would not both with the controller software.

MU-MIMO is a wireless feature that allows multiple devices to talk to the AP at once. 

The EAP is rated up to 200m for 2.4G and 300m for 5G (obstacles decrease the final distance) so that should be able to cover your backyard. The EAP will send the signal in a spherical fashion so it doesn't need to be pointed to anywhere.

Options
2020-11-20 19:34:18

Thank you so much! You have been very clear. I have ordered both the products you recommended.

Options
2021-01-04 01:56:12 - last edited 2021-01-04 14:29:13

I have three separate things - just getting all installed.

EAP 225

Deco M9+

Archer A7 router

I see your description Tony, of the devices jumping from one to another. It does not seem to be working like that at all.

Is it posslbe to purchase devices that have a main network and a guest network - at least in the house?

I have eight networks.

I have obviously done this all wrong....

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 387

Replies: 6

Related Articles