HS220 reboots itself often when TV is on, causing light to flicker

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-19 20:56:56
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

I have 3 KASA dimmer switches  (HS220 )installed in 2 rooms by an electrician. It seemed to work fine, no issues initally. When I have my LG smart TV ON in one of the rooms, though, I noticed the switches reboot themselves and the respective lights flickers at the same time (in both rooms).  This happens randomly every few minutes.  When I disconnected the switches from Wi-Fi, they do not get affected by the TV being on. I added them back Wi-Fi and the issue happens again. I can see that Green Wi-Fi signal on the switch flicker when it is rebooting/re-connecting. It re-connects automatically, but the light flickering every time is annoying. 

What could be the problem? How do I fix it?

Thanks

Options
9 Reply
Re:HS220 reboots itself often when TV is on, causing light to flicker
2020-11-19 23:41:24

@bsuja1 

Does your router have a guest Wi-Fi network? If so, default your switches by holding the small reset button for 15 seconds, and set them up to that network. Leave your TV on the original network to see if that helps.

Options
2020-11-20 03:41:56

@bsuja1 I have the exact same problem and I'm not sure how to fix it. 

Options
2020-11-23 05:38:05
Having the exact same problem with LG tv and dimmer switch.
Options
2020-11-24 01:48:04

@bsuja1 

I am also having the same problem with my Dimmer switches rebooting once my LG 49NANO85 turns on.  I created a separate network specifically for my smart lights so they are on a separate network from the tv.  The tv is also hardwired to the network with WiFi turned off.  Lights worked fine for two weeks and I just noticed these reboots yesterday when I setup the new tv.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Options
2020-11-24 01:50:26

@Tony Setting up the lights to be on a separate network does not fix the problem.

Options
2020-11-24 03:14:54
Thank you Tony, Unfortunately, our router does not have a guest network setting. Also looking at Lightning16's response below, seems like that may not fix the problem even if I buy a new router. Anything else I can try? Thanks
Options
2020-11-24 15:16:20

@bsuja1 To anyone having this problem with the HS220 rebooting with LG Smart TVs, the only way to fix it is to put the tv and the smart switch on a completely separate network. You cannot just create a new SSID as mentioned above, you have to actually create a new vlan.  The new LG TVs have IoT support so you can control your IoT devices from the TV.  I have the regular non dimmer smart switch that works perfectly through the TV but there must be a firmware issue with the Dimmer Switch version that causes it to reboot when the tv attempts to connect to the switch.  Placing the TV on its own vlan prevents it from searching the network for IoT devices and therefore the switches no longer reboot when I turn on my TV.

I hope this helps anyone with similar issues and hopefully TP link can release a firmware update to correct the rebooting of the dimmer switches with IoT devices.  

Options
2020-11-24 15:41:14
I setup a new guest wireless network and so far I've had no resets (i.e., dimmer switch appears to be working as expected). The "guest" network helps because it creates a logical barrier between itself and the network the TV is on. They can both communicate with the Internet but they can't communicate with each other.
Options
2020-12-13 03:39:33

Well, Replaced our old router anyway, and tried setting up all dimmer switches on the separate guest network a week ago. Also updated all dimmer switches to the new firmware version(1.04)  when the message popped up on the app.  No sure which solved the problem, but so far no flickering when watching TV.  So, all good.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1539

Replies: 9