How to create a CNAME to lock Google Safe Search?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-22 18:22:25
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20201022 Rel. 66804

We would like to lock Google SafeSearch for all devices using our router (per the instructions provided by Google at https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/186669?hl=en) but are unsure how to do this.

How do we set the DNS entry for www.google.com to be a CNAME for forcesafesearch.google.com? I do not see an option to create a CNAME record in my DNS settings (see screenshots below).

Note we are using OpenDNS and would like to continue doing so. OpenDNS provides the following article regarding locking Safe Search, but no specific instructions: https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/227986807-How-to-Enforcing-Google-SafeSearch-YouTube-and-Bing

Thanks for your help!

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to create a CNAME to lock Google Safe Search?
2020-11-24 23:20:45

@davidduran 

The link from google requires modifying the host file on the computer itself, not with the Deco. As far as the Deco you can point the DNS servers to whichever your DNS server is that has the restrictions. From there the DNS server would filter any content/sites you are able to get to. 

So in this case you will need to get on the computer and edit the host file which the links show you how to do in the numbered steps and screenshots.

Options
2020-11-24 23:39:25

@Tony Thanks, Tony. I've already modified the host files for a few individual computers, but was hoping to also accomplish this at router level to protect all connected devices (including phones, tablets, etc.), per this part of the Google instructions:

Keep SafeSearch turned on for your school, workplace, or home network

If you’re managing a school, workplace, or home network, you can force SafeSearch setting for all browsers and devices using your network. This applies the SafeSearch Virtual IP address to all Google domains you include in the configuration and can't be undone at the browser level.

To force SafeSearch for your network, you’ll need to update your DNS configuration. Set the DNS entry for www.google.com (and any other Google country domains your users may use) to be a CNAME for forcesafesearch.google.com.

Options
2021-02-08 03:38:18
I am in the same boat. I have ammended hosts file but this only filters individual PC. I want this at the router level. I dont know how to "point the DNS servers to whichever your DNS server is that has the restrictions" Is it possible to include a screen shot?
Options
2021-02-08 04:07:12
A friend writes: “I recently switched from OpenDNS to NextDNS. NextDNS has some better privacy and security features, and built in ad blocking. It also allowed me to enforce safe search on all browsers with an easy check box. It can also enforce youtube restricted mode but turns out that also blocks [our church’s] live stream at the moment. Setting it up should be pretty similar to OpenDNS. NextDNS is free until 300,000 dns queries per month, which we passed. But if you do pass it it is only $20 a year.”
Options
2021-02-08 18:50:37

@FAM 

Here you go: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1855/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3335

Replies: 5

Related Articles