What Happened to My HS105's?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-02 14:23:18

What has happened with these devices?  I have two, which have been operating flawlessly for months.  My home wired/WiFi network is exactly the same and has not changed in months, either (and it's a modern TP-Link high end res router!).  But about 3 days ago - all hell broke loose.  I've factory reset devices.  I've re-installed the Kasa app on my phone.  I've checked and updated firmware.  I've logged out and logged back in to every account.   And while I do have Alexa, this has nothing to do with Alexa:

At this point, evern after a full factory reset, checking firmware, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc, I cannot get the HS105's on my home network.  The Kasa app will see them for a short period on the private/temporary TP-Link WiFi, but when it prompts me to join my own WiFi, it all goes wrong.

And this is on two different devices - both work exactly the same - or I should say, don't work at all.  Actually - not true - their hard buttons do turn the power on and off!

Help!

Options
7 Reply
Re:What Happened to My HS105's?
2020-12-02 19:42:49

@DWC415 

When you attempt to link the plugs to your home network and if fails what is the message that displays?

Options
2020-12-02 19:47:29

@Carl the app prompts me for my WiFi network.  When I select it, the app just spins there, saying "Connecting to Network" or something similar - but it never connects.  I've reset the units at least 3 times now and have started from scratch, the same issue occuring.   

Options
2020-12-02 20:01:56

@DWC415 

And when you reset the plugs you also remove them from your app correct?

Options
2020-12-02 21:27:28

@Carl Yes, of course

Options
2020-12-02 21:44:24

@DWC415 

Are you able to try a different management device for instance if you are currently using an iPhone 8 can you try an iPad or something like that?

Options
2020-12-03 17:41:28

@Carl and to everyone:  what a joke.  I get how inexpensive these are - I guess they're just e-waste.  

How can two separate units not work after a factory reset (actually dozens of resets)?  On two different phones, running two different versions of Android?  I started from absolute scratch with the devices being completely factory reset, and the KASA app removed, and then re-installed on two different phones.

But it still didn't work, and it just isn't worth my time to troubleshoot.  Trying WyzePlugs next.  

A disappointment.

Options
2020-12-09 01:14:09

@DWC415 

I had similar issues recently after a software update on my phone. 

I am under the impression the update changed my kasa app settings, one of which giving permission to access my home network. If the two can't communicate I am not sure if setup can be completed.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 625

Replies: 7