Need "TL-WR902AC for Dummies" setup instructions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-07 06:45:25
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I am fairly experienced with my Android smartphone but I'm new to setting up a router. My programmer-husband sets up and maintains our home router but he does not speak smartphone at all so I am struggling to get this up and running. I have read the User Guide but it seems to require a level of knowledge that I don't have. I have 2 Internet sources at home I can tap into, our home password-protected router or my smartphone which I can run in USB-tethered mode or hotspot mode if needed.

Specific questions:

- Under 2.2.1 Standard Wireless Router Mode, the instructions show connection to an Ethernet port (which I don't have handy, it's at the other end of the house) and then says "connect your device to the router wirelessly." Is this an alternative to connecting via Ethernet? Since our router requires a password, how can I put that in? The User Guide points out the device's network name and password are on the label, which I found, but what good does that do me? Don't I need to give the travel router the home router password so it can connect to the home router?

- Under 2.2.3 Range Extender Mode, it again directs me to connect to the router wirelessly and points me to the DEVICE's name & password, but I need a way for the device to send the password the home router expects.

Feel free to point me towards a guide or web page. I can't google if I have no idea what I'm looking for. I have a feeling I'm missing something terribly obvious, but I won't mind looking stupid if that's what it takes to get this up and running!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Need "TL-WR902AC for Dummies" setup instructions
2020-12-07 12:31:59

@MamaSylvia 

There is a SETUP Guide, should be with the unit.

If not, it is here, https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201902/20190203/7106508201_TL-WR902AC(EU%20US)_QIG_V1.pdf

It shows how to connect to both situations you have,  Existing Router or a Hotspot.

Have a problem, state specifically which method you used and what you did and what happened with error codes if any.

Options
2020-12-07 14:59:38

@IrvSp those instructions are the same as in the User Guide and did not work.

- there is no wired Internet connection at this end of the house to plug into

- the "connect your device to the router's wifi" instruction points the user towards the device's name & password, like TP-Link expects the user to connect the router to the device rather than connecting the device to the router. What I *need* is a way to tell the DEVICE the ROUTER's password so it can connect.

- at step 3, the Internet LED is not on. Step 4 says to login to tplinkwifi.net but I can't login through the device because it doesn't have internet access. When I login through my desktop which is connected to the house router, I get an error screen that my device isn't connected and NOT a login screen. I also tried the TPLink tether program but it doesn't detect the device no matter what I do.

Options
2020-12-07 16:46:06

MamaSylvia wrote

@IrvSp those instructions are the same as in the User Guide and did not work.

- there is no wired Internet connection at this end of the house to plug into

- the "connect your device to the router's wifi" instruction points the user towards the device's name & password, like TP-Link expects the user to connect the router to the device rather than connecting the device to the router. What I *need* is a way to tell the DEVICE the ROUTER's password so it can connect.

I would think the " 2.2. Access Point Mode " would work? Go to the wired router and connect it that way and use the Wireless.

Does that not work?

Options
2020-12-07 21:46:55

@IrvSp if the only way it will work is wired to a home router, I'll just return it because it would be useless to me. I need something to pick up internet from my phone in my RV and make it available to other devices in the RV. Router mode, hotspot mode, or range extender mode would work, and those possibilities are what I bought it for.

Options
2020-12-07 22:06:29

@MamaSylvia 

The SETUP document did show how to set it up with a Hotspot. If that didn't work, I'd contact Support.

Options
2020-12-08 21:30:36

@MamaSylvia 

Here is a FAQ that shows how to set up the 902AC to connect to an existing wireless connection to receive internet: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2032/

For step 3, the .net address is just a fancy way to refer to the IP address of the device which by default is 192.168.0.254. So you would connect to the 902AC, either connecting an Ethernet cable to it or connecting to the default wireless network (wireless password is on the label). You then open your browser and enter the 192 address mentioned above. You do not need an internet connection, you just need to be connected to the 902AC somehow. 

Once logged in, on step 6, that is where you find the wireless network that is providing the internet connection. On step 7, the client setting, mainly the password box, that is the wireless password that any user would enter to connect to the wireless network you selected.

So for example, if someone came over to visit (902AC didn't exist), and they wanted to connect to your Wi-Fi to have an internet connection, whatever password you tell them to use, that is the same password you enter there. So think of the 902AC as being the visitor needing an internet connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1760

Replies: 6

Related Articles