HS210 - Main Switch Has to Be On

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-14 21:26:53
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hello, 

I have been slowly replacing switches in our house with Kasa Smart Switches. So far I haven't run into any issues, except when I tried to replaced our 3-way in our living room. 

I wired up the switches the way that I believe is correct, but it isn't working entirely as desired. 

The main switch has to be on or there isn't power to the second switch. As long as you don't turn off the power to the first, or use the app to turn the power on/off, you can control the lights with the second switch. This isn't how I imagine it should operate. I would hope that you could control the lights with either switch with no regard to the state of the other. 

I've tried what I feel is every combination of wiring to get it to work the way I want, but I am unsuccessful. I don't know if this is the way the switches normally operate, or either I have something wired incorrectly or my wiring (when the house was built) is incorrect. 

On the primary switch, I have 4 wires. One bare copper (ground), one white (neutral), one red (traveler), one black (traveler), one black (always hot). On the secondary switch, I have 4 wires. One bare copper (ground), one white (neutral), one red (traveler), one red (traveler), one black (traveler). As you can see, on the second switch I do not have a constant hot, and when I turn the first switch on then one of the travelers becomes hot. 

I am super confused, and at this point out of ideas short of calling an electrician. 

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 - Main Switch Has to Be On
2020-12-16 15:08:39

Bump

Options
Re:HS210 - Main Switch Has to Be On
2020-12-18 15:50:24

@Shoe I had this same problem in a relatively new house and suspected it was incorrectly wired.  Sure enough it was.  Here is website that helped me troubleshoot.  It all made sense after I understood what was happening. "www.hunker.com/13414477/how-to-troubleshoot-an-improperly-wired-3-way-switch"

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 2

Related Articles