Dead End 3 Way HS210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Dead End 3 Way HS210

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Dead End 3 Way HS210
Dead End 3 Way HS210
2021-01-05 04:00:20
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just tried all day to get this working any help would be sooo greatly appreciated! So heres the situation:

I have a 3 way setup in the kitchen, two switches with the light on the ceiling in between them. One of the boxes has 3 wires (black, red, white) and the red one is connected to the common. The other box (picture attached of original wiring) has two bundles of wires. The first bundle is 3 wires (black, red, white) and the second bundle is 2 wire (black and white).

So to me it seemed like the wire in the two wire bundle would be the neutral but its connected with a wire nut to the red wire in the bundle of 3 wires. It also seemed like the black wire in the 2 wire bundle would be the hot line in. So when I connect the white neutral from the switch to the bundle with the white wire from the two wite bundle and the red wire from the 3 wire bundle and the black line in to the terminal on the switch the device powers up and when I connect the travelers two different things happen. Either the light will turn on but the smart switch doesn't power up or if I reverse the other two wires in the traveler terminals then the light will turn on and off at about 2 to 3 second intervals. 

I have done as much research as I could and it seems like I have a dead end 3 way but should be able to make it work by replacing the switch that appears to have a neutral with the smart switch but I feel like I have tried every configuration so at this point I know I must be not doing something correctly. 

Thanks in advance!!

File:
702F9D34-2525-480F-8993-34484AF162DE.jpegDownload
Options
1 Reply
Re:Dead End 3 Way HS210
2021-01-05 11:24:55

@dpetersen954 The problem is you do not have a neutral.

The power is at the light fixture, and that is where the neutral is.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 997

Replies: 1

Related Articles