TP-Link Router -> Firewall -> Cable Modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-01 19:23:02 - last edited 2021-02-02 20:35:12
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.01

I want to create some precise firewall rules involving internal source IP, destination IP, protocol and port numbers.  TIme of day and bandwidth shaping would be great too.

I realize that overtly my C2300 doesn't support this.  So I am thinking about putting a proper firewall between my C2300 and my Internet connection.

I facilitate that, I guess I'd meed to put my C2300 into Access Point mode?  I see in the description some features will no longer be available (QOS, Parental controls...)  Is there a list of exactly what features I will lose by switching to Access Point mode?

Any other options to consider for precise firewall rules?  I did see an article online about modifying the router's backup configuration to add rules, then re-applying it.  I would prefer something more elegant like legit changes to a proper firewall product.  But I suppose I could do that.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Router -> Firewall -> Cable Modem-Solution
2021-02-02 18:07:44 - last edited 2021-02-02 20:35:12

@dhostetter 

Here is a comparison chart: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2420/

Given the rules you want to set, you may need a separate device in order to handle the firewall rules.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link Router -> Firewall -> Cable Modem-Solution
2021-02-02 18:07:44 - last edited 2021-02-02 20:35:12

@dhostetter 

Here is a comparison chart: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2420/

Given the rules you want to set, you may need a separate device in order to handle the firewall rules.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP-Link Router -> Firewall -> Cable Modem
2021-02-02 20:35:00

@Tony Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for.

Yes, I want more precise firewall control but I don't want to lose the USB drive feature, the MAC address whitelisting...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 433

Replies: 2

Related Articles