Very strange 3 way switch setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-02 17:40:54 - last edited 2021-02-02 18:05:33
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all,

I am trying to replace 2 of my 3-way switches with a pair of HS210s.  I understand the typical 3 way switch has 4 wires (1 black for common ,1 black and 1 red for travel and 1 ground), but both of my 3-way switches only have 3 wires and what odd is that it has 1 black for common, 1 white and 1 red for travelers and that's it (yes it's the white that is on the traveler connector).  It's the same on both switches.  Is this configuration supported by HS210?  No matter how I wired them, they don't have any power (meaning no blinking orange/green wifi light).  When I put the old "dumb" switches back, it works and it works correctly like any other 3 way switches.  Is this even possible?  

What I've done so far is mimic what's currently working meaning using white and red for travelers (and I did make sure they're not crossed), use the hot/black wire for common, installed another white and ground wires from the white and ground bundled in the gang box (this was done on both sides), but it's not working.

Can you please help?

Thanks

HT  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Very strange 3 way switch setup
2021-02-02 22:10:45

@ht053194 

Please provide pictures of the installation.

Options
2021-02-03 13:48:18

@Tony 

Thanks Tony.  I was helping my brother at his house, so I can't take any pictures now.  I will be back this weekend to finish it off, so I will take some pictures and upload then.

HT

Tony wrote

@ht053194 

Please provide pictures of the installation.

Options
2021-02-03 23:58:42

@ht053194 

You can also shoot an email to our Kasa team at for additional help: Kasa.Support@TP-Link.com

Options
2021-02-08 15:13:06

@Tony 

FYI,  I was able to get this to work.  The way the wires were run really confused me, but after taking all the other switches out and straightened out all the wires, I was able to get a clear picture and got it to work.  Thank you for your assistance on this.  You guys rock.  

HT

Tony wrote

@ht053194 

You can also shoot an email to our Kasa team at for additional help: Kasa.Support@TP-Link.com

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 436

Replies: 4

Related Articles