3-way dimmer switch is possible using Smart Actions in the app

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-02-20 03:12:09
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

You don't have to wait for Kasa to release a 3-way dimmer. You can use the Smart Actions tab in your Kasa app. I replaced two traditional 3-way switches with a Kasa dimmer and a Kasa 3-way. After I installed them I was disappointed that they can't be paired by holding down the switch for 5 sec. like the 3-way instructions said. I then realized that this is a software problem. If you go into the Kasa app, click Smart Actions, press +, select "control with a switch". Then you select the first switch so that when it's on, the second switch will also be on. And set up another smart action for the reverse direction. Tada! You've got a 3-way dimmer with no waiting for Kasa to launch one!
Note: in retrospect, I may not have needed a 3-way switch, just a regular single pole since the software logic is what controls the switches, not the wires. HTH.

Options
1 Reply
Re:3-way dimmer switch is possible using Smart Actions in the app
2021-06-18 06:09:21
Nice workaround. Though make sure you need no more than one of these because this method is using 2 of all THREE precious smart actions that you are allowed to keep active. That is just another limitation and good luck waiting on TP-Link fixing it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1311

Replies: 1