Only one of two HS220's working in setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-01 03:09:44
Model: HS220  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello all,

Back again, thought this was going to be simple but it's kicking my butt.

Wiring setup before starting to replace switches

Right to left

Single Pole controlling one can light (changed out last week to a dimmable LED 'plug in)

Single Pole controlling one flood light for the driveway

Single Pole controlling 3 can lights and like above replaced regular bulbs with LED dimmable inserts

All 3 of the above switches share a 'daisy chained connection across the top screws)

3 way switch controlling the fan of a ceiling fan/light combination.  Later want to see if it's possible to put the three way on the light side instead of the fan but that is separate project for a later time)

Like i described the layout i worked right to left installing everything.  When I completed it I installed two Kasa HS220's in the spots for the hallway can light and the can lights on the front porch.  I powered everything back up and came back into the house to see the first switch flashing away like it should.  Went to the app and everything configured just like it should.  I move to the second HS220.....nothing, no flashing lights, nothing dead.  Made sure everything was wired 'correctly" scratched the head for a minute and decided to kill the power and change out the switch since I had a spare available to me.. Same problem, no life on the second switch.

Well since the HS220 is basically just a 'regular' switch I took the second switch that was to control the porch lights and reversed the wires.  Wouldn't you know it....it started working like it should......or at least i thought it was.  It started flashing correctly I was able to set it up on the network and turn it on and off.

Well I think I'm done and start playing with the switches and discover that if I turn off the switch that controls only the single can light inside the house.....everything powers off, the second HS220 AND the mechanical switch that controls the flood light in the driveway.

I've attached two photo's if anybody can follow the jumble of wires (they will be cleaned up before putting it all back in the wall of course)

Also I realize that I"m using non standard colored wire for the ground / load wire and will change this out again before buttoning everything backup.  It's just what i had at the moment

Thank you for any help on this.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Only one of two HS220's working in setup
2021-03-01 18:29:55

@Mark_W Each switch should of had a load wire coming from the box to the switch.

They should be moved to the Load of the HS220.

The black wire coming from the box that was feeding the Line daisychain should now be under a wirenut with a short black jumper to the Line of each switch.

The HS220 white lead should be added to the group of white wires in the box.

The HS220 green lead should be added to the group of green wires in the box.

Let us know how it goes.

Options
2021-03-01 19:02:48

@B.Will Bill,

Thank you again for responding to my question about the 3 way switch earlier and now for this one.

The black wire coming from the box that was feeding the Line daisychain should now be under a wirenut with a short black jumper to the Line of each switch.

Will confirm this but I think that is the way i have it.

The HS220 white lead should be added to the group of white wires in the box.

This has been done

The HS220 green lead should be added to the group of green wires in the box.

This has been done

When I get home tonight besides correctly using the correct colored wire, I'm going to eliminate the toggle switch from the equation to see if it makes any diffence and beside I have a HS200 on the way for it anyway.

Will report back once I have someting to report.

Options
2021-03-04 06:41:37

@B.Will 

Hello Bill,

Just a follow up on this post, the problem has been fixed and everything is working just fine now.

It was user induced error that caused the setup not work.

I made the assumption that the dimmer switch was just like the normal switch when it comes to load/line hookup and didn't pay attemtion to the labels on the back of the dimmer switch.  Once i corrected this and everything downstream so to speak i was cooking with gas again.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Mark

Options
2021-03-04 10:20:18

@Mark_W Your Welcome

Glad to hear you got it working.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1067

Replies: 4