3-way switch with dimmer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3-way switch with dimmer

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
3-way switch with dimmer
3-way switch with dimmer
2021-03-10 01:14:35
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey,

I am trying to get my 3-way to function as a dimmer switch and was wondering if the following would work.

I would install  my smart 3-way switch (HS210) to work with a smart dimmer (HS220), by installing one at one location of my 3-way switch and the other at the other location.

Would I be able to control it properly through the app (even if have to set up the same location twice)?

Please let me know what you think? Or of other solutions if anyone has any?

Options
1 Reply
Re:3-way switch with dimmer
2021-03-11 17:58:46 - last edited 2021-03-11 18:02:57

@Jack139 - if you can wait a few months Kasa has announced release of a 3-way dimmer, expected to be available around the summer I believe 

For what you propose - You will not have true 3-way switching because the dimmer switch only has a single input and a single output. 

But you can set them up in a master-slave arrangement in your automations. 

At the line end, this becomes a 'dummy' switch (output not connected to anything - you can actually use an HS200 - don't even need a 3-way switch) and you connect the line input at that box through one of the traveller wires, which becomes your line input at the dimmer switch which should be at the load end. The other Traveler is isolated at both ends. 

Then you link them in automation so if one is off, the other is off and vice-versa.  

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1696

Replies: 1

Related Articles