Odd issue with 3 way switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-11 18:45:06
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Having a very odd issue. I installed a single 3 way switch on 2 different set of lights. Both are working from the physical switch no problem. But from the kasa app, one of the light switches is working very oddly. For example if I turn off the light and back on from the app, app shows its on but light never turns on. I have to press the power in the app couple time and eventually turns on.

I can see they both have solid wifi 2.4ghz connection and no wifi issues. All my kasa light switches are on another vlan just for switches.

one thing I did different between the two is that I swapped the travellers on the other switch. Maybe I need to swap the travellers? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Odd issue with 3 way switch
2021-03-11 22:42:22

@j0np 

Are both of your Kasa switches connected at the line end in each case? (with the common connected to the live line voltage?)  

I think this is the easiest/most reliable way to connect these. 

Changing the travellers should not make any difference. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-15 18:01:38

@j0np 

I've seen that happen when one HS210 is installed on the side that is not the side where power is coming from so you have to turn the app on twice. You can try swapping the HS210 to the other outlet and leave the dumb switch in the "on" position.

Options
2021-03-15 18:38:21

@Tony interesting, I'll give it try. Thanks!

Options
2021-03-15 19:44:21

@j0np That's what I suggested 5 days ago! 

However there is no need to leave the non-smart switch in the 'on' position - it will still be able to turn the light on or off, and unaffect the ability of the Smart Switch to do same, regardless if on or off. 

It should still be able to work as 3-way circuit, just as it did originally with either switch manually turning on/off but with added smarth control. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 620

Replies: 4

Related Articles