Smart dimmer switches AND smart plugs randomly flicker at the same time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-24 05:10:48 - last edited 2021-03-24 05:14:00

Installed 5 smart dimmer switches and 2 smart plugs and randomly they will all flicker at once (even the plugs). Just a few times a day I've noticed. But i also dont keep them on all day either. I have other equipment in the same room (ceiling fan w/ light  and tv and other items not tied to these switches/plugs and they dont flicker or shut off or anything when the TP-link/kasa items flicker.

I've pulled them out again and rechecked the wiring and it all seems fine. I do have a bunch of random bulbs into the light fixtures so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I plan on getting some LED dimmable ones. But would that explain the smart plug flickering too? The smart plugs only have a wax scent thingy and a light up tree

Options
3 Reply
Re:Smart dimmer switches AND smart plugs randomly flicker at the same time
2021-03-25 17:06:54

@avari 

I would check the LED light indicators on the devices to see if anything is rebooting. If you have multiple access points with the same network name, you can try naming them differently or enable the 2.4G guest network on your router, make the name unique from everything else, and connect one of the bulbs flickering to see if that helps.

Options
2021-03-26 03:38:06

@Tony when they all turn off, the wifi lights up icon lights up like its searching for a network but connects pretty quick and the light goes away. Just today I had non dimmer switches come in the mail and I replaced all the dimmers with regular ones (h200) and they still did this exact same thing

I normally just had 1 network ID with both 2.4 and 5ghz on it and devices would swap between to 2 when needed. So I tried 2 different network IDs (the 2gz  and 5ghz ones with different names) and still had the same issue....although the TP link devices were not on their own network alone. I may try that later. I currently have them factory reset and not connected to a network and so far for the past 30 mins there has been no reset on them so I'm beginning to believe it is network related and not wiring related

Options
2021-04-29 02:06:54

So my only fix was to get a new router

I have a xfinity modem/router combo and just went and bought a new router and put the gateway in bridge mode and no more flickering

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2835

Replies: 3