HS200 Installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS200 Installation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS200 Installation
HS200 Installation
2021-03-29 23:20:07
Model: HS200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Looking for an explanation for this:

In the garage there are 2 single pole switches in the same box sharing power from the same wire. One switch controls the inside ceiling light and the other controls outside coach lights. I replaced the switch controlling the outside coach lights. It worked great. However,  the single pole standard switch no longer worked to turn on the ceiling light. So I swapped the black wire connections to the Kasa smart switch.  That resolved the problem.  I had thought it made no difference which Kasa black wires connected to the black wires previously used by the standard singke pole switch.  

Thanks! 

Dave

Options
4 Reply
Re:HS200 Installation
2021-03-30 23:55:35 - last edited 2021-03-30 23:56:28

@Dave3997 Each of your switches has a 'Line' (live) wire and a Load Wire. 

If you only had a single Line Wire coming into the box (but two Load Wires - one to each fixture) it would be wired such that each switch received a common supply from the Line wire (this would normally be tied with a wire nut or connector block depending on your region). 

It is important that the Line still supplied power directly to the 'dumb' switch. even after you wired up the Smart Switch 

For the Kasa Switch it absolutely matters which of the black wires is the load and which is the line. 

I can only surmise that you had these reversed and that somehow what should have been the Line voltage to the dumb switch was in fact common with the Load on the Smart Switch until you swapped them.

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-31 00:34:46

@Bethel.8009 thank you for the response.  It certainly makes sense that it matters which Kasa switch wire is connected to the hot wire. I rechecked the installation instructions on the Kasa app and noticed it doesn't have any mention of which Kasa switch black wire should be connected to the hot lead.  Or did I miss that part on the instructions?  Thanks again!

Options
2021-03-31 01:29:03

@Dave3997 

Well in the instructional video HS200 Install video it indeed claims that you can connect either black wire to either terminal 

(I'm not necessarily convinced of that but will accept that for now as its moot regard the dumb switch issue) 

But where it comes into play in your case is that presumably you had them reversed and your link to the dumb switch must have remained common with the load side of the Kasa - so what would happen is that when the Kasa was off its load side would not have power and therefor neither would the dumb switch. 

(what you may have found is that if you switched on the Kasa, your other dumb light may have worked in that situation) 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-03-31 02:37:00

@Bethel.8009 that was something that surprised me: the "dumb" switch didn't work regardless of the smart switch being on or off.  I installed the switch for a neighbor. The wiring for the 2 original switches was done in 1995 and is evidently a bit "nonstandard". Thanks again for your help. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 560

Replies: 4

Related Articles