RF Switch Replacement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RF Switch Replacement

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
RF Switch Replacement
RF Switch Replacement
2021-03-30 01:04:06
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here has a little bit more electrical knowledge than I do, as I'm struggling to figure this one out.

I bought the HS210 (works in the way it was described, but not how I need it to) to replace a broken basement stairs light switch. The original basement light switch had an on/off at the top of the stairs and at the bottom, but it appears the bottom of the stairs switch was a radio frequency switch as it was wired to the house electric but not wired to the actual basement stairs light. It made use of some sort of signaling over the electrical network to communicate with the switch at the top of the stairs. I bought the HS210 with an understanding that the switches could communicate with each other in a similar way via WiFi, but when installed the HS210 at the bottom of the stairs doesn't turn the light on and off. I suspect I need a new RF or signal sending switch and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or knows if TP-Link makes a switch capable of solving the issue I've described.

thank you in advance! 

Options
1 Reply
Re:RF Switch Replacement
2021-03-30 23:47:07

@Rmj837 Are you sure about that? It would be more likely to just be a standard 3-way switch arrangement which have been in use for many, many years. 
Can you post an image of the switch you removed? 

a 3-way switch would have three contacts - one marked Line/Load or Common and two Others which are for Taveler wires. 

So the box would have three wires (not including neutral or ground) 

A std switch (regardless of any external control element by remote) would only have two connections (outside of Neutral and Ground) for Live and Load. 

If you truly do have switches that utilized some oddball RF communication, then it can still be possible to use TPLink Switches, but not in the manner you might perceive - we can cover that once you affirm exactly what you have. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 254

Replies: 1