Anyone wire a motion 3way model YM2108T with HS210?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-10 22:40:13
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Has anyone had any luck getting hs210 3way working with a Ecoeler ym2108t 3way motion switch? Trying to set this up in a hallway and looking for feedback. Thanks in advance for any info.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Anyone wire a motion 3way model YM2108T with HS210?
2021-04-10 23:52:00 - last edited 2021-04-11 00:26:27

@Lknights74 I took a look at this product and downloaded the manual 

The first question is why you want to use in conjunction with a Kasa Smart Switch? 

I imagine this must be so you have the option to automate the control (as you would with the Kasa) while also having it turn on wth motion detect?

The primary issue first of all is that the Ecoeler is not really a Smart Switch (well it's not exactly dumb, but doesn't communicate with any other network devices) 

If you look at the hook-up diagram, you will see that the non-Ecoeler must be wired with non-standard 3-way switch wiring (where Traveler 1 and the hot are BOTH connected to the Common Terminal for this specific application) - I don't know that this will work with the Kasa (it might, I wouldn't recommend it) 

Your best bet would be to use a Smart Motion Detector that you can integate into your system to control that Kasa HS210 3-way (or any other devices on your network!) 

To that end  are you using any Smart Control system, other than just the Kasa App?

Even Alexa can do this for you. 

Even without a Hub, there are devices that will play with the Alexa App - as do your Kasa TPLink Switches! 

e.g. here is a good battery-powered one by Shelly -  (it won't let me post direct link -search for Shelly Motion Sensor and you should find easily) 

It's not inexpensive - about 3x the price of the Ecoeler device - but I think worth it for what it is/does

The benefits of a separate Motion Detector are that you are not limited by placement in the Switch Box fixture, it can go anywhere  - and your automation options are much improved! 

I can give you further instructions on how to proceed with Alexa if you don't have that - nothing to buy since the Kasa Switches and the Shelly Devices will link directly to the app. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-04-10 23:57:34 - last edited 2021-04-10 23:58:06

Here's some details on the Shelly Motion 

https://youtu.be/ec6DYuKR_18 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-04-11 00:59:52

@Bethel.8009  I currently have a bunch of kasa, 2 way, 3 way, strip lights for shelving, plus several zooz, ST hub, ewelink switches for fireplace etc etc, my main reason is speed in the hall it is in that's all, also have 6 echo/plus's/show devices as well, it's about speed, and was hoping to use it in conjuction of the hs210 that's already in place for triggering other things. Was hoping it'd been done as I have the switch already but as you stated it's not a typical wiring for that switch. I really do appreciate the feedback, I didn't think it'd work but thought I'd ask 

Options
2021-04-11 06:32:58

Not sure if you meant speed as in convenience of having that device on-hand - or speed in terms of how quickly it responds to detecting motion

See this review - https://youtu.be/tH6C5HOdHw8 - if you skip to 9:45 you get a visual demo of just how quickly it activates in conjunction with Alexa 

Lknights74 wrote

.. it's about speed, and was hoping to use it in conjuction of the hs210 that's already in place

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 777

Replies: 4