HS210 too many terminals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS210 too many terminals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
HS210 too many terminals
HS210 too many terminals
2021-04-13 12:44:41
Model: HS210  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Unknown

I am attaching a picture of my current 3-way switch. There is also a ground wire inside the box (I need to add an extension. It is too short.)
The old switch has three wires connected to terminals, plus the ground wire equals 4 wires.

The HS210 has two wires (ground and neutral) plus three terminals (Line and two Travelers).

Questions:
1. Can I use the HS210 with the current wires in the box?
2. If yes, which wires go to where?

This is the BEST location for the HS210, but I can use a different 3-switch if I have to.

Thank you,

Ron

Remember there is a ground wire inside the box.

Options
2 Reply
Re:HS210 too many terminals
2021-04-13 13:55:52

@Lake_Guy_MO It doesn't sound like you have a neutral in the box.

Try the other 3 way switch it may have the neutral.

Options
Re:HS210 too many terminals
2021-04-13 17:18:52 - last edited 2021-04-13 17:20:54

@Lake_Guy_MO Yes, it appears that there is no neutral - the white is confusing because it'sbeing used as one of the traveler wires to the other switch - it's NOT actually a Neutral in this application. So unless you have a true Neutral inside the switch box, you will be unable to use the Kasa 

What is your alternative? MOST other smart switches also require a Neutral Connection 

The exception I know of is a Shelly Device. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 310

Replies: 2