3 Kasa Switches in a 3 gang box

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-15 01:27:50

I have several 3 gang boxes that I need to install 3 Kasa switches into (mix of dimmer, 1 way and 3 way). I was wondering if anyone has installed 3 in a 3 gang box and did it all fit without having to modify the box? Keeping my fingers crossed that it will all fit. Thanks. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:3 Kasa Switches in a 3 gang box
2021-04-15 15:50:48 - last edited 2021-04-15 15:56:58

@Senior_Vagabond it really depends on how deep your box is - some responders might have no issue, but may not be relevant to your situation unless their switch box is the same. 

I have two Kasa Switches in a 3-gang box with a dumb switch between them. I can tell you that it is the volume of wiring in conjunction with the added depth of the Kasa Switches over a 'dumb' switch that creates the issue. 

Your best option might be to consider replacing the box - it is probably nailed to the stud; you have two options really -  a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails or sometimes you can just leverage it away from the stud using the box itself to pull the nails - it makes it a little awkward to remove from the cavity, but if you're careful, you should not compromise your drywall at all. Just be sure you identify all your wires, so you know which is which. 

But once you get the old one free of the stud & out, it is then relatively easy to install an 'old work box' and these are available with quite a large volume/depth. 

Search 3 gang Old Work Box at HD or Lowes or Amazon (site won't allow link) - there is a 3-gang 55cu box available that is 3.7 in deep. Carlon Model B355R

They have amazon but ~ 3x the price!!! 

This Video covers the process pretty well - it is for changing out from a single to a 2-gang but the process is the same. 

I actually used this same technique to install just ONE Kasa switch into a 2-gang box (the other switch was a 'dumb' 3-way - the Kasa for that was located at the other end of the circuit) - however the original box was simply not deep enough to accommodate the wiring AND the Kasa, (it was already a very shallow box for even the std switches) - so I swapped it out, (I did not use a saw, just leveraged it out similarly to the linked YT Video) 

I would definitely recommend this as a good way to go - it is no fun trying to shoe-horn the wiring into the box and this will make your job much easier. 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
2021-04-15 20:21:28

@Bethel.8009 

Unfortunately, that is what I thought based on installing just the single pole and dimmer Kasa's. They take up much more volume than I expected. This may be stopping my project cold as I have 8-10 2 and 3 gang switches I was planning to convert with all smart or at least a mix. I have an electrician coming over the weekend to give me a better perspective and recommendations on how to handle it. 

Options
2021-04-30 20:08:25

@Senior_Vagabond  I've done them with a regular 3 gang box in my house . They're absolutely no fun but it can be done. Consolidating your neutrals under a big red wire nut helps. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3813

Replies: 3

Related Articles