Very warm HS220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Very warm HS220

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Very warm HS220
Very warm HS220
2021-04-16 01:25:22

I have installed 3 dimmer HS220 switches. Although they are working as expected one of them gets very warm when on just below the rocker switch. The other two are not like this and no issues with any heat build-up. Could this be an installation issue or faulty switch and more importantly a safety issue? 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Very warm HS220
2021-04-16 02:15:09

@Senior_Vagabond well heat is a natural product of a dimmer and the extent will be dependent on two variables - the load and the degree of dimming. 

So a large load (either incandescent or multiple LED fixture like a chandelier) set at a low light level will dissipate more heat than a single low wattage led or on no dimming/full bright

(I'm sure not your case but just to mention that these switches should never be used as fan speed control)

That should explain the difference you are seeing between the switches. 

As long as not excessive then it is probably not an issue 

Please note that I do not work for, or have any affiliation with, Kasa TP Link. I am simply an enthusiast who likes helping if I can.
Options
Re:Very warm HS220
2021-04-16 19:52:47

@Bethel.8009 

Thanks and you are right. This HS220 dimmer is connected to a chandelier with 12 individual bulbs, hence the heat build up. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 366

Replies: 2

Related Articles